Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
New Orleans Homeless
Lens: 50mm 1.8 Camera: k-5 
Posted By: liquid85, 04-18-2014, 10:58 PM

I'm down in New Orleans this weekend. Here are several shots that I've taken. The faces and the stares are incredibly interesting to me. Any thoughts or advice?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,119
04-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Every one of these is a gem. Very well done, poignant and engaging. The irony of the one guy with a iPhone is very cool, and the general low-sat color works especially well.

Jer
04-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Street Work?

Hello liquid85,
These are some very gritty street shots, and the subjects, positioning, composition and de-saturated, monochromatic PP all works.
But there's a couple of things you could change to improve each one, imo.
First off, with the exception of the cell-phone shot, they're all crooked. Now, crooked orientation isn't an absolute no-no, but there should be a reason for it. Generally, it causes an unease, a sense of discomfort to the viewer. As such, it could work well with a feeling of dislocation, like with homeless people.
Here, it's overdone, particularly with the first photo, and the biker looks like he's going downhill. It doesn't work with the girl, no reason to use it there.
If you're doing it deliberately, cut back. If it's unintentional (which I suspect), find a prominent vertical line (wall frame, door, window, mailbox) that will be in the cropped photo, and straighten it. Do this first, then your other PP. If you then decide it needs a little 'tilt' for effect, add it discreetly.
Second, this is a matter of personal shooting technique, so if you're comfortable using it, ignore the following!
Never use a higher ISO than necessary. About the only reason it might be needed is for a 'grainy' look, which is OK.
Here, you're using a shutter speed in the thousands, an ISO of 1600, and wide apertures. Why? A bit more depth of field would enhance the sharpness and resolution, say f/5.6 at 1/250s, ISO 400. Better image quality, DoF, sharpness and an easily hand-holdable shutter speed.
Again, if you wanted the digital noise for effect, no problem. I'd still suggest more DoF, however.
So, overall you're on a good track and your photos are fine. Keep practicing!
JMO, YMMV,
Ron
04-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Every one of these is a gem. Very well done, poignant and engaging. The irony of the one guy with a iPhone is very cool, and the general low-sat color works especially well.

Jer
Thank you very much for your kind words.

---------- Post added 04-19-14 at 11:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello liquid85,
These are some very gritty street shots, and the subjects, positioning, composition and de-saturated, monochromatic PP all works.
But there's a couple of things you could change to improve each one, imo.
First off, with the exception of the cell-phone shot, they're all crooked. Now, crooked orientation isn't an absolute no-no, but there should be a reason for it. Generally, it causes an unease, a sense of discomfort to the viewer. As such, it could work well with a feeling of dislocation, like with homeless people.
Here, it's overdone, particularly with the first photo, and the biker looks like he's going downhill. It doesn't work with the girl, no reason to use it there.
If you're doing it deliberately, cut back. If it's unintentional (which I suspect), find a prominent vertical line (wall frame, door, window, mailbox) that will be in the cropped photo, and straighten it. Do this first, then your other PP. If you then decide it needs a little 'tilt' for effect, add it discreetly.
Second, this is a matter of personal shooting technique, so if you're comfortable using it, ignore the following!
Never use a higher ISO than necessary. About the only reason it might be needed is for a 'grainy' look, which is OK.
Here, you're using a shutter speed in the thousands, an ISO of 1600, and wide apertures. Why? A bit more depth of field would enhance the sharpness and resolution, say f/5.6 at 1/250s, ISO 400. Better image quality, DoF, sharpness and an easily hand-holdable shutter speed.
Again, if you wanted the digital noise for effect, no problem. I'd still suggest more DoF, however.
So, overall you're on a good track and your photos are fine. Keep practicing!
JMO, YMMV,
Ron
Thanks a lot for your advice. I wasn't trying to intentionally tilt them. I just straightened them as you suggested and they look better. Thank you. This was the fist time I've done this kind of street photography so I was taking them fast and just trying to get the exposure close.I didn't even realize my ISO was set that high. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm about to head out again for some more shots so I'll take everything you said into account. Thanks again.