Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
First attempt at Long Exposure, coments / advice welcome
Lens: DA 12-24 Camera: K-5 
Posted By: Methos, 04-20-2014, 07:13 AM

Hi Folks

So, Wednesday the Postman brought me my First ND Filter, A 77mm SRB 10 Stop. All the reviews I could find told me it was a bargain at £30.

Thursday Morning found me working in Saffron Walden so an early lunch break and a short walk later I found a place to try out a long exposure.

As it's my very first attempt I'd like to run through how I went about it and ask for your advice on the technique for both the shot and the PP

OK so the reason for taking the shot at 12mm is the position it's taken from is right next to the road and standing a little further back and shooting at 15mm had a huge shadow from an adjacent building.

Here's what I figured. There was not much cloud so if I wanted to show some movement I'd need the longest exposure I could squeeze out so F22 in AV mode to get a base exposure time.

here's the test shot

Screwed on the ND filter, guesstimated the time as best I could from the sheet of paper that came with it as a minute. Switch to Bulb and timed on my watch

here's the from the camera, colour cast seems pretty evident.

here's after I've adjusted levels in Camera Raw

here's after I've attempted to straighten and crop in PS. Also cloned out the last bits of branch that remained on the right

and some "push button" PP filters

B&W

Camera
PENTAX K-5

Focal Length
12mm

Aperture
f/22

Exposure
62s

ISO

Subtle HDR effect

Camera
PENTAX K-5

Focal Length
12mm

Aperture
f/22

Exposure
62s

ISO

And the full Sinister!!

Camera
PENTAX K-5

Focal Length
12mm

Aperture
f/22

Exposure
62s

ISO

Views: 748
04-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #2

Nice! I like the B%W version and the dramatic sky in the last one the best.