Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Around Chicago
Posted By: Double A, 04-22-2008, 09:06 PM

So I finally bought a tripod today...and thought I'd head downtown and test it out

Couldn't figure out how to keep some of the buildings lights (especially the building to the left of the Sears Tower) from blowing out...any ideas/suggestions?

Views: 1,919
04-23-2008, 03:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Lucky you, living in such a beautiful city. Chicago CBD (or Downtown, you'd call it) is very photogenic, as your fine shots show. I love the colours in the second and third ones (horizon could be straightened a tad in 3). Please post some more!

QuoteQuote:
Couldn't figure out how to keep some of the buildings lights (especially the building to the left of the Sears Tower) from blowing out...any ideas/suggestions?
I don't think you can, the dynamic range is just too high. But others more adept than I (there are many!) may know of a way.
04-23-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow great night shots. I think I will be in Chicago in Spetmeber for a conference - never been and looking forward to it !
04-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wonderful shots! I may have to drive down to Chicago and shoot some night shots with you cause those are definitely purdy. I love #2 the most and it's a winner in my book.

To answer your question about not blowing out the lights yes you can, but not in camera.

You'll have to take 2 exposures, one for the all the other lights and a second to expose the lights of the building next to the sears tower. Combine them in photoshop or your favorite editing program to make a well balanced photo.

04-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

i love night city shots! nice photos
what focal length did you use to capture these photos?
you might want to try levelling out the photos a bit so the buildings are all upright
04-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
Lucky you, living in such a beautiful city. Chicago CBD (or Downtown, you'd call it) is very photogenic, as your fine shots show.
Yeah Chicago is beautiful and very photogenic...the city is so vast and there is so much to see and do. So much architecture, art, festivals, history, etc to see and photograph. Last nite when I went out and took these pictures I spent 3+ hours alone shooting the skyline and museums just on the North side of the Museum Campus...only a few block radius.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow great night shots. I think I will be in Chicago in Spetmeber for a conference - never been and looking forward to it !
daacon - You'll love it here...I've been all over the U.S., and quite a few other Countries and the only place that I saw tht was more beautiful and really captured my heart as Chicago does was Roatan, Honduras.

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Wonderful shots! I may have to drive down to Chicago and shoot some night shots with you cause those are definitely purdy. I love #2 the most and it's a winner in my book.

To answer your question about not blowing out the lights yes you can, but not in camera.

You'll have to take 2 exposures, one for the all the other lights and a second to expose the lights of the building next to the sears tower. Combine them in photoshop or your favorite editing program to make a well balanced photo.
Ahhh that actually crossed my mind as I was shooting but then was thinking there had to be something I was missing. I didn't get the same exact shot, but may have some that will photoshop in nicely.

Oh and you're more than welcome to come out and photograph the city w/ me anytime...now that the weather is warming up I find myself downtown quite a bit now. Gonna again this evening to shoot some more!

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i love night city shots! nice photos
what focal length did you use to capture these photos?
you might want to try levelling out the photos a bit so the buildings are all upright
The first 3 were shot w/ my DA 55-200mm and the last was shot w/ my FA 50mm F1.4 I believe.

Thanks for all the comments as this was my first night shoot and can't wait to shoot some more!!
04-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Is #2 from migs field? I see that shot alot and never really figured out where its taken.

FWIW I think the best time to photograph the city is right after a rain during the day. Really cuts the haze.

04-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Is #2 from migs field? I see that shot alot and never really figured out where its taken.

FWIW I think the best time to photograph the city is right after a rain during the day. Really cuts the haze.
#2 was shot on those giant concrete steps along the lake in front of/next to Adler Planetarium...it's a perfect clear shot of the skyline

There had to be about 20 photographers there last nite snapping away...I got there just a tad late and missed the sun set behind some clouds, just behind the Sears Tower. I saw it just as I was finding a place to park and by the time I parked & setup I had missed it.
04-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Forum Member

Great Photos, I love the monochrome quality of the first one. Did you wait for everyone to turn the lights off and go home? :-)
04-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Sweet Home - Chicago". Actually, I'm from down state (Mt. Vernon), but I love Chicago, although I haven't been in Illinois for years.

These are wonderful photos and bring back some great memories. Thanks.

Jer