Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
New Orleans French Quarter
Lens: 50mm 1.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: New Orleans 
Posted By: liquid85, 04-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Here are some more shots I took this weekend in New Orleans. Had a great time. I took some forum advice on a few earlier pics so hopefully these are improved. What do you think? Any advice?
Views: 1,152
04-20-2014, 06:58 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 58
Original Poster
for some reason the pic didn't load. here they are.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-21-2014, 04:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
rbefly's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,030
Much Better!

Hello liquid85, welcome back!
This series is improved, your compositions are cleaner and stronger and you're picking out interesting scenes/subjects to photograph.
I'd say you have a good eye for street photography and might want to study it a bit more. A Google search will help there.
About this series, they're all good, but similar. Using the same monochromatic toning, same lens and general POV (point of view) give them a familiar feel.
This can work well for a small 'series' group (like here) but overall is limiting. I'd suggest using a 35mm, 24mm and possibly a wider lens (sometimes) for a different effect. For example, a shot of street musicians would generally require a wider POV, to get the entire band in the frame, or perhaps people dancing in the foreground and the band in the background.
No telephoto lenses except for tight head shots, using a tele is not called 'street', it's called stalking or spying. There's a big difference.
In other words, adjust your POV by lens selection, distance from subject, foreground/background elements, depth of field, shooting low, high, overhead, etc. If you always use the same lens, always shoot horizontal, same distance, same PP, you'll end up with a 'style' that's hard to break out of.
Your close-up photo of the man with the dog is a good example of using POV for a different effect. Good one!
Don't make the scene adjust to your equipment, instead you adjust to the scene, whether that means a different lens (POV), more or less depth of field, camera position, lighting, etc. Even a small change will make a big difference.
Last a link here; 10 rules of photo composition (and why they work) | Digital Camera World will help you see the effect of your decisions on the viewer. These are guidelines that have worked in visual art for centuries and still apply. My suggestion here is to take (at least) one photo that uses each rule, just as practice. It doesn't have to be great work, just an exercise to loosen up any 'habits' you might be developing that may be holding you back.
It also explains how tilting and leading lines help the composition.
Sorry if I seem too critical, you're doing well so far and I'd enjoy seeing you continue and improve!
Ron
04-21-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,915
I like them , love the poet one.

04-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,780
These are very good. They really capture the feel of the place - there's nowhere like Nawlins.


Jer
04-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 58
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello liquid85, welcome back!
This series is improved, your compositions are cleaner and stronger and you're picking out interesting scenes/subjects to photograph.
I'd say you have a good eye for street photography and might want to study it a bit more. A Google search will help there.
About this series, they're all good, but similar. Using the same monochromatic toning, same lens and general POV (point of view) give them a familiar feel.
This can work well for a small 'series' group (like here) but overall is limiting. I'd suggest using a 35mm, 24mm and possibly a wider lens (sometimes) for a different effect. For example, a shot of street musicians would generally require a wider POV, to get the entire band in the frame, or perhaps people dancing in the foreground and the band in the background.
No telephoto lenses except for tight head shots, using a tele is not called 'street', it's called stalking or spying. There's a big difference.
In other words, adjust your POV by lens selection, distance from subject, foreground/background elements, depth of field, shooting low, high, overhead, etc. If you always use the same lens, always shoot horizontal, same distance, same PP, you'll end up with a 'style' that's hard to break out of.
Your close-up photo of the man with the dog is a good example of using POV for a different effect. Good one!
Don't make the scene adjust to your equipment, instead you adjust to the scene, whether that means a different lens (POV), more or less depth of field, camera position, lighting, etc. Even a small change will make a big difference.
Last a link here; 10 rules of photo composition (and why they work) | Digital Camera World will help you see the effect of your decisions on the viewer. These are guidelines that have worked in visual art for centuries and still apply. My suggestion here is to take (at least) one photo that uses each rule, just as practice. It doesn't have to be great work, just an exercise to loosen up any 'habits' you might be developing that may be holding you back.
It also explains how tilting and leading lines help the composition.
Sorry if I seem too critical, you're doing well so far and I'd enjoy seeing you continue and improve!
Ron
Thanks so much for all the time you put into my last two threads. You're not being overly critical at all. I'm just starting out so any help is appreciated. Thanks for the link. I'll apply that and keep posting. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 04-21-14 at 06:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I like them , love the poet one.
Thanks a lot. Thats my favorite too.

---------- Post added 04-21-14 at 06:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These are very good. They really capture the feel of the place - there's nowhere like Nawlins.


Jer
I appreciate it. I love New Orleans.
04-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 50,041
Well done, a much more cohesive series of images when compared with your first series.
04-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member
tessfully's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: S. Algonquin, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,859
What a great series! Enjoyed immensely! Never seen a poet for hire before. Too cool

04-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,249
That's great series... the two poets with typewriters might be one of my favourite images ever.... and here's my favourite article on composition.... the expanded links are at the bottom of the thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/167-peg-judges/218978-those-who-havent-st...mposition.html
04-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 58
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Well done, a much more cohesive series of images when compared with your first series.
Thank you. I also think this group came together better than the last.

---------- Post added 04-22-14 at 10:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
What a great series! Enjoyed immensely! Never seen a poet for hire before. Too cool
Glad you liked it. I had never seen a poet for hire either. lol

---------- Post added 04-22-14 at 10:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's great series... the two poets with typewriters might be one of my favourite images ever.... and here's my favourite article on composition.... the expanded links are at the bottom of the thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/167-peg-judges/218978-those-who-havent-st...mposition.html
Oh my God. Thank you so much for the compliment. Also thanks for the link. Thanks again.
04-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan Utah
Posts: 200
I love the bike...something about that just draws me in...great job, the people arguing is also great!
04-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Michael Piziak's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,413
Nicely done !
04-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 58
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmerchant Quote
I love the bike...something about that just draws me in...great job, the people arguing is also great!
Thanks a lot!

---------- Post added 04-22-14 at 11:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Nicely done !
I really appreciate it!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advice, camera, composition, effect, favourite, help, images, lens, link, orleans, photo, poet, post, pov, scene, series, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
June, 2013 Winner: French Quarter Streetcar - New Orleans Jim Radcliffe Winners' Showcase 17 10-24-2014 04:25 AM
Streets New Orleans Homeless liquid85 Post Your Photos! 3 04-19-2014 09:41 AM
Hi from New Orleans Myxine Welcomes and Introductions 8 08-30-2013 08:58 AM
Hi from New Orleans vvkozmenko Welcomes and Introductions 6 05-01-2013 02:53 PM
Streets New Orleans French Market landscaped1 Post Your Photos! 7 03-16-2010 08:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top