Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Baptizing, Raleigh, NC
Lens: DA 1.8 50mm Camera: D200 Photo Location: Raleigh, NC 
Posted By: condor27596, 04-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Back story: I notice the associate pastor taking people's pics with an iPhone Saturday night. So I ask him if he wants me to take people's
pics on Sunday. The focus kept locking up due to guess the low contrast background. Next time I will use manual focus and work out the
settings a bit better. This is my first picture taking other than my daughter. It was pretty cool to be able to do such a thing for people.

Well now I need to figure out how to make the pics smaller.
Views: 1,196
04-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK the problem is my computer screen it is hard to see where to click.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
04-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice! I can see where the background wouldn't help, but they turned out nice anyway. Hope the tank was heated! When I was baptized I came up and without thinking spit out a stream of water!
04-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great idea, and good job! I'm sure people will appreciate them. It's good that you had the forethought to bring your camera. I find most people use their cell phones for these significant moments, it's nice to be able to do this for them.

04-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
mee
Pentaxian

It appears the autofocus is targeting the Pastor and not the people getting water baptized. Also, the white balance might could use a bit more coolness to pull away from the orangyness throughout the shot. Are you shooting RAW mode?

Nice idea though for a memorable moment. That is putting your camera to truly Good use!
04-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have done this before. The pre-baptism picture is much easier since there is usually a delay which enables good focus of the baptize. The post picture is harder because you are not quite sure where the baptize will come up and the distance is close enough to cause significant focus challenges. Also the light is low, so longer exposure. Sometimes it is nice to take the pictures and other times just to appreciate the event.

One of the ancient traditions made Easter Day the preferred day fro baptism.

As for the temperature of the water, the Didache (last 1st Century) says running water should be used, but if not available still water will do, and cold water should be used, but if cold is not available warm will do. (So this is a paraphrase - I have not bothered to go to the bookshelf to get the exact quote.)

Nice choice of T-shirt - notably in a dark colour with writing right across the front. Such a good idea I have just passed that on to my church.

Last edited by tim60; 04-22-2014 at 03:32 AM.
04-22-2014, 03:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I should be able to get another chance this coming weekend. They do this thing for fence-sitters. Paraphrase "I want everybody to know that was thinking about it last week, then left, then said, "I wish I had done it", well, guess what! You get your chance today!"
That fellow is not the pastor. It's actually a modern campus system - there is a main campus across town where there is a head pastor, and a number of satelite campuses in Raleigh and surrounding areas that have a telelink. Then each satelite campus has it's own associate pastor.
04-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #8
mee
Pentaxian

I didn't realize I wasn't in the Photo Critique section when posting my comment here. So my apologies for the critique I gave.

04-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice of you and you got some good keepers.
04-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all very much. I did not mind the critique. Those are a couple of the best two shots. They are also unedited with photoshop or rather I should say uncorrected. This was also the first time I've ever really taken a photo where I could not get a do-over.
My previous photos are here: All Things Turtle Creek - Home

I was shocked at the pressure involved in taking real pics for other people. And I have a long way to go before I get good at it.