Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Mecum Auction - 'Ol Shel's Footprints
Lens: DA 15/4 and FA 31/1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Reliant Center, Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-24-2014, 05:52 AM

No photographic recounting of a major auto auction would be complete without a few shots of vehicles developed or influenced by Carroll Shelby, so this "installment" of this series on the Mecum Auction in Houston a couple of weeks ago showcases such cars. There were several nice examples of original '65 and '66 GT-350s, but - for some reason - I didn't photograph them; unfortunately there were no genuine Cobras - only replicas which one can see everywhere these days.

Jer

Here are three shots of Dragonsnake, a 1963 289 Cobra set up for drag racing. I dimly remember reading about this car back then - and wondering (as I do now) why you'd make a drag racer out of a great road/sports car. Anyway, this one appears to have been pretty successful - as was typically the case with Shelby's Cobras in a number of venues.

A couple of shots of a 1969 GT-500 (428 CJ/auto) and GT-350 (351/4-speed). By this time the Shelby Mustangs were being manufactured in Michigan and were little more than glorified Mach I Mustangs that were designed with little input from Shelby, who ended is association with Ford that year.

After decoupling from Ford, Shelby worked with Chrysler on a number of projects including development of the Dodge Viper - a concept very close to the original Cobra. Here are a few pics of what seems to be a special Shelby version (RT/10CS), about which I know . . . . well . . . nothing ():

Views: 1,198
04-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Awesome shots. Beautiful cars. Love that GT500.
04-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shots and cars. That's when real sports cars were being made... and seatbelts were a suggestion... and Iacoca was anti-airbag... and gas was cheap.
04-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My Man!

Jer, you've really hit a soft spot here with these great photos!
Ol' Carroll did know how to stuff an engine compartment and extract HP, didn't he?
And that rough rumble, growl and quickly-disappearing tail of a Shelby (any version) won't be easily forgotten by anyone who's seen, heard and felt it.
Yep, an American icon, TFS,
Ron

04-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simply stunning and the cars are too!
04-25-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ohger19 Quote
Awesome shots. Beautiful cars. Love that GT500.
Thanks very much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by reed_page Quote
Beautiful shots and cars. That's when real sports cars were being made... and seatbelts were a suggestion... and Iacoca was anti-airbag... and gas was cheap.
Hey thanks, Reed.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Jer, you've really hit a soft spot here with these great photos!
Ol' Carroll did know how to stuff an engine compartment and extract HP, didn't he?
And that rough rumble, growl and quickly-disappearing tail of a Shelby (any version) won't be easily forgotten by anyone who's seen, heard and felt it.
Yep, an American icon, TFS,
Ron
Hey, Ron - I'm happy you liked 'em. Shelby certainly knew his business, much to Enzo's distress at Daytona and LeMans.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Simply stunning and the cars are too!
Thanks for the kind words, EM.

Jer
04-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
viewing these reminded me of how much influence that Shelby had on the automotive world. Surprising a "real" Cobra wasn't at the show, but I bet they bring some big bucks now. Thanks for sharing these buddy.

04-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
viewing these reminded me of how much influence that Shelby had on the automotive world. Surprising a "real" Cobra wasn't at the show, but I bet they bring some big bucks now. Thanks for sharing these buddy.
Thanks for looking, brother Bob. I was surprised myself, but on reflection I guess the chances of an original street Cobra at this particular auction would be very small. Cobras were - as you know - never mass produced in the usual sense and Shelby didn't make all that many; also, this is only one of a dozen or so Mecum auctions and there are many more by Gooding, RM, Barrett-Jackson and others - so maybe I shouldn't have been disappointed. The only genuine Cobras I've seen in the last few decades were at the Palo Alto Concours three years ago.

I went on the Hagerty website and found that the average selling price of, say, a '65 427 Cobra is over a million bucks with some going for much more . Little wonder you don't see too many parked at Target.

Jer
04-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some all time classic very well captured my friend. What a pleasure to look at these shots! I'm just sitting at Sao Paulo airport looking forward to fly home to the family ... and the roadster:-)
04-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great shots Jer, a pleasure to view
cheers
04-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Some all time classic very well captured my friend. What a pleasure to look at these shots! I'm just sitting at Sao Paulo airport looking forward to fly home to the family ... and the roadster:-)
Thanks, buddy. I appreciate the kind words. As it happens - and you may not believe this - I was thinking about you today; I was doing the spring polish-wax thing on my silver roadster, and I wondered if you were using your silver roadster as the weather moderates - oooooooooooooooo Twighlight Zone stuff!

Based on your posts, my sense is that you travel a lot - and while I know it can be eye opening, I also feel for you. I'm a scientist not an engineer, but for many years before I retired, I traveled a great deal in North America and Europe seeing customers, arranging joint R&D agreements at various universities (including one in Tarragona Spain on the Med ), presenting papers at scientific meetings and dealing with projects in my company's global R&D organization. It was a great experience - but the best part of each trip - whether a couple of nights or a couple of weeks - was coming home.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
great shots Jer, a pleasure to view
cheers
Thanks much, Cee Cee.

Jer
04-30-2014, 03:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
- but the best part of each trip - whether a couple of nights or a couple of weeks - was coming home.

Jer

r
Fully agree with this Jer! I called my wife from Sao Paulo yesterday and told her I would be boarding soon... Her question was: and where are you flying to? What does this tell me??

Take care
04-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Beautifully taken Jer - love the paint job on these - while not really a car guy I do have a place for anything Shelby.
04-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Fully agree with this Jer! I called my wife from Sao Paulo yesterday and told her I would be boarding soon... Her question was: and where are you flying to? What does this tell me??

Take care
I hear you, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Beautifully taken Jer - love the paint job on these - while not really a car guy I do have a place for anything Shelby.
Thanks a lot, Dave. I sure appreciate your looking in!

Jer