Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A leafy path
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f 2.8 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Canberra, Australia 
Posted By: RobG, 04-27-2014, 01:25 AM

Autumn has arrived in Canberra. We have many trees from the northern hemisphere planted in Canberra, so we get to see autumn in a way most Australians don't. The vast majority of Australian native trees are evergreen - Eucalypts and acacias.

Views: 778
04-27-2014, 02:15 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice image, Rob. But you just reminded me of how cold Canberra is (well, I mean cold by my standards - our winter is shorter).
Just for curiosity, how much PP did you do to get the colours as they are?
04-27-2014, 03:52 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice image, Rob. But you just reminded me of how cold Canberra is (well, I mean cold by my standards - our winter is shorter).
Just for curiosity, how much PP did you do to get the colours as they are?
Thanks! Personally I like having seasons. In Queensland there were two seasons - hot and humid or hot and dry. Hot and dry was ok, but I hated hot and humid. To answer your question, I have only adjusted the curves to lighten the area under the trees while retaining a little shadow for contrast. Then cropped, resized and sharpened. The camera jpeg setting is "bright" so that may be where a little saturation is coming from, but the colours look reasonably accurate to me. I usually shoot RAW+ but I generally only use the RAW image if there's something wrong with the jpeg.
04-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice colours. Interested to read your use of RAW+. I recently used RAW+ on our China trip but only so I could view the JPEGS on the hotel TV without editing.

04-27-2014, 04:12 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Nice colours. Interested to read your use of RAW+. I recently used RAW+ on our China trip but only so I could view the JPEGS on the hotel TV without editing.
Fair enough! When travelling it has meant that I could post some photos along the way without having to wait until I got home. It uses a lot of space on SD cards and hard drives though!
04-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's another from today.

04-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A nice shot there Rob.Warm weather is on its way in this neck of the woods.Speaking of raw. 99.9% of any shots that I've ever posted on the forum have been shot in j-peg.I've tried both ways and always come back to j-peg and even at that most shots are at 12mb.--charliezap

04-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A nice shot there Rob.Warm weather is on its way in this neck of the woods.Speaking of raw. 99.9% of any shots that I've ever posted on the forum have been shot in j-peg.I've tried both ways and always come back to j-peg and even at that most shots are at 12mb.--charliezap
Thanks Charlie! I guess it depends on what you want to do with the photos. I've been feeling paranoid about the lossy nature of jpeg files, but on the other hand using RAW+ gives me the result from the camera's processing which removes a lot of post processing if I want to post to the web.
04-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice one, Rob - almost a mystical, magical look. Here in southeast Texas, we don't get much fall color, either. The magnolias and live oaks stay green and while some trees lose leaves, they don't produce much color doing so (the sweet gum in our front yard is an exception).

Cool shot.

Jer
04-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice one, Rob - almost a mystical, magical look. Here in southeast Texas, we don't get much fall color, either. The magnolias and live oaks stay green and while some trees lose leaves, they don't produce much color doing so (the sweet gum in our front yard is an exception). Cool shot.
Thanks Jer! I guess the weather in Texas is similar to a lot of Australia - it doesn't get quite as cold as most of the US. The only two species of trees I know of that are deciduous Australian natives are ones which originated in Gondwanaland during much cooler times. They only survive now on the tops of mountains in Eastern Australia from around Brisbane and south (Antarctic Beech, Northofagus moorei) or in Tasmania (Deciduous Beech, Northofagus gunnii). They also seem to need quite a lot of humidity, so they tend to be in "cloud forest" or something close to it. The stands which I remember as beautiful when I was young are generally looking very much worse for wear now, presumably due to climate change. I think they were able to survive when the average temperatures were lower and the rainfall higher, but now they seem to be dying and it's very sad to see.
04-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #11

Nice pic Rob.

Here are some more deciduous natives: Six Australian Deciduous Trees | Gardening Tips ?n Ideas
04-28-2014, 03:57 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sigmund Quote
Nice pic Rob. Here are some more deciduous natives: Six Australian Deciduous Trees | Gardening Tips ?n Ideas
Thanks Sigmund! That page lists a few I didn't know were deciduous. I thought of mentioning the Flame Tree, but it doesn't lose its leaves in Autumn, and I was specifically talking about trees that lose their leaves like northern hemisphere plants do. I'd forgotten that the Red Cedar was deciduous! I should have remembered that, because I've seen them with red leaves. Maybe I was wrong about the Antarctic Beech - I'll have to check... OK, I was wrong. I must have been thinking of the Red Cedar because I knew there was at least one tree in the rainforests of the North East that lost its leaves in autumn! Thanks for the link.