Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Why can't I find these in time for the mini challenges?
Posted By: NaClH2O, 01-24-2007, 06:35 PM

This is one stubborn tree. Would have been a perfect topic for the "Survival" mini challenge. Found it growing out of a almost solid granite ledge. The "photographic" quality of the images isn't great, these are more "documentary" type photos, not looking for artistic merit, just admiration for the tenacity of life.
All taken with the DS and the kit lens.

Slightly closer, the root crossing horizontally above the tree also belongs to this tree.

Closer still showing the roots going both up and down in search of water and soil.

Close up of the descending roots showing how they're wedging themselves into that crack.

The tree btw is a Black Birch (betula lenta) other wise known as Sweet Birch. The small green twigs have a sweet "wintergreen" taste to them, especially in the spring. The sap is the main ingredient in "birch beer".

NaCl(who said a Forestry degree is useless?)H2O +
Views: 1,902
01-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is wild.
01-25-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
Forum Member

An effective visual essay....

....works visually really well & communicates the message effectively & dramatically.

Stomie
01-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Stomie. When I saw the tree I was going "Wow! look at that!" Passers by were going "what in the world is this man getting so excited about?" The tree is at the edge of the "urban forest" portion of the New York Botanical Gardens, I'm sure the botanists there know about it, but I still think it's amazing.

NaCl(if a tree could have determination, this one has it)H2O

01-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Classic example of the power of life over inanimate objects. Great series.
01-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I love it. Makes me think of what NYC would look like if we evacuated it for 20 years.

Thanks for sharing.
01-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi regken, You can sorta see that now. The Botanical Gardens has a 125 acre "urban forest" that they do absolutely nothing to except keep the (few) trails clear. It's one of the largest of it's kind in the world and extensively studied to determine the effects of urban pollution and use on a forest environment.

NaCl(it's a nice place to walk when you need to get away but don't have the time to really get away)H2O