Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Proper framing
Posted By: regken, 01-24-2007, 07:59 PM

There was absolutely no sky when I took these so I plan on going back to re shoot this boat. These were taken with a 28mm and a 43 mm lens. Which composition do you like the best or how would you change it?

Thanks,

Last edited by regken; 02-04-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Views: 3,121
01-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
There was absolutely no sky when I took these so I plan on going back to re shoot this boat. These were taken with a 28mm and a 43 mm lens. Which composition do you like the best or how would you change it?

Thanks,

Absent any sky, polarizer would probably be ineffective. "Change it?" Bring that filter with, on a better day. Not much-including certain sharpening methods can fix flat, dull light.
01-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

the 28 is too wide from the vantage you had. I'd say either lens would be a good choice but either move in with the 28 or take a couple of steps back with the 43mm and give it just a bit more room at the sides.
01-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Composition wise I like the layout of the first one but there is too much distracting clutter.

Would it be possible to get a little closer and wider angle to eliminate the tires as least?

Next you might want to get real close and take some facinating detail shots of damage, rot, part of the name with the rust paint and texture. Just some thoughts.

Agreed you will want a day with more contrasty light. Don't forget to ask for some fluffy clouds too, that sky needs some relief

01-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. If the sun ever comes out I'll post what I get.

thanks,
01-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like the composition and angle of the second picture. Just goes to show, everybody likes something different!
01-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Me too...

I like the second better, but wonder what could be produced if you were to go to the same spot and lie on your back to get the shot. Might make for something intertesting, with the "ship" towering above the viewer.

If that could be done, with the ladder still in the shot...

Of course, a definitive sky would be necessary to pull this off.

01-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Opinion #7: :-D
Like Clarance I like the first better. Unlike Clarence I like the tires and stuff, I think it adds to the "derelict" feel of the photo. I think the only thing we all can agree on is that it need some sky. I'd also try a bow on shot with the widest lens you have. It looks like that hull has some pretty good lines, sometimes a bow on shot can give you some nice persepctives.

NaCl(just my .02, and worth about that much)H2O
01-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm going to be wishy-washy. I sort of prefer the second, there are fewer distractions and the boat looms nicely, but the clutter in the first helps tell the story. Maybe cropped to get rid of the snow in the foreground - it doesn't add much to the image, and maybe the more elongate shape would match the dimensions of the boat and frame it better? Just blabbing off the top of my head, please ignore if it makes no sense!

Julie
01-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some great ideas!

Thanks everyone. Hope to be down there next week and if the weather cooperates I'll re post.

Thanks,