Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Recent Tokyo Photos
Posted By: Mike Cash, 04-24-2008, 06:23 AM

A few recent shots from Tokyo. The first is from the "camera on a stick" experiment, so excuse the sloppy framing, please.

SMC-A 28/2.8 at hyperfocal setting

DA70/2.4 Limited

DA70/2.4 Limited

Views: 1,649
04-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Banned

oh the third photo is wondrous, very good job.
04-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

wow, the da 70 looks like a fabulous lens -- i LOVE the 2nd shot with its rich shadow on the rounded surfaces, looks surreal.
04-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Looks like you have three winners there Mike!

I like the first one as I am a sucker for working boats and get all gooey inside for tug boats. In my dreams I'd like to refurb an old tug and make it my floating home. I am not actually sure if those are tugs but for sure they are working vessels.

04-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Long time no see Mike

I love that third shot! The framing looks amazing to me and it's just a gorgeous photo. Great use of the sunset and the wet road. I love it Mike and thanks for sharing.
04-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hey mike! its been a while since we have exchanged feedback
these shots are very well done, as usual!!!! the 2nd and 3rd shot are awesome!
04-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

good work Mike! always like your photos

04-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The port photo seems to get my attention every time. The rusty iron really grabs my attention.

Of course the lighting in the third shot is melodramatic
04-25-2008, 04:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. I haven't been posting many photos mostly for the simple reason that I haven't had any worth posting lately, and also because I've been fooling around a lot with non-Pentax film cameras.

I've been fooling around with the camera on a stick thing a pretty good bit because I want to give it a try during our local festival this coming August. It should at least make shooting the thing interesting and maybe give me a few photos that don't look like every other Japanese festival photo.

The second shot was taken in inch-worm traffic on the Tokyo Metropolitan Expressway late one rainy afternoon. I just pointed the camera out the window in the general direction of the factory and fired off a few shots, hoping to get something I could work with. It benefitted a lot from post-processing, which included a color faux duotone using light grey and dark grey masks in grain merge mode. Curves, light USM, cropping, and bump mapping finished it off.

The third photo is from inside the Hanjin Shipping Lines container yard in Tokyo and was taken on a night with pretty heavy rainfall. What appears to be the setting sun is in actuality the strong sodium lights that illuminate the yard for night work. I didn't "correct" the WB since the color rendition is pretty accurate to what the place looks like under those lights and I really liked the way it worked on the wet asphalt.

Here is another shot taken a few minutes before of the ship Hanjin Helsinki which was undergoing loading and unloading operations. The rainfall can be seen in the ship's spotlights. This one had the WB corrected:

Pentax K100D / DA70/2.4 Limited
04-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series of shots Mike. I like the 3rd above but the 2nd shot is my favourite of the group. Sort of anf "industrial organic" look to it if that makes any sense. The newest one posted is cool as well. These shots remind me of my days working in the oil exploration industry, offshore Nova Scotia.