Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Oussy Willows in Ontario
Posted By: Neisey, 04-24-2008, 03:09 PM

Finally! the snow is gone and we have som great weather and achance to get out for some photos. Any comments, criticism and advice welcome...Unfortunately I didn't notice that little stick near the top buds til I downloaded the photos. thanks for looking!

Views: 1,990
04-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hear ya on the snow still waiting here . The bokeh is very nice. I am not sure if the focal point was off or they are OOF but they all look a little soft to me.
04-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i found the first 3 images to be really relaxing.. nice work mate.. they came up well, but as daacon pointed out,-perhaps a little bit on the soft side. if that was intentional, imo, it works really well. ( i have a habit of deliberatly taking out-of-focus shots)
04-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys!

I have a desperate problem with soft focus...sometimes it kind of works with the photos but I never manage to get that elusive "tack sharpness" - got any pointers? I'm using a K10D and have a couple of 20 year old lenses, a 27-70 and a 70-210. I'm shooting in manual and using the shutter release for focusing. I'm using centre focusing. Anything else I need to tell you? I generally do all right with the exposure setting but would love to get better focus. Do you think the problem is with the photographer, the lens or the camera? I'm betting on the photographer cuz it's a lot cheaper to fix me than buy a new lens

04-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Neisey Quote

I have a desperate problem with soft focus...sometimes it kind of works with the photos but I never manage to get that elusive "tack sharpness" - got any pointers? I'm using a K10D and have a couple of 20 year old lenses, a 27-70 and a 70-210. I'm shooting in manual and using the shutter release for focusing. I'm using centre focusing. Anything else I need to tell you? I generally do all right with the exposure setting but would love to get better focus. Do you think the problem is with the photographer, the lens or the camera? I'm betting on the photographer cuz it's a lot cheaper to fix me than buy a new lens
Couple of points perhaps.

first, have you set your diopter for your eyesight. it may be that you can get sharper with the viewfinder diopter set properly. adjust the diopter by looking at the grod on the viewfinder

second, try stopping down a little, it will give beterdepth of field, just don't overdo it or the background will be too focused and distracting.

I have no porblems getting tack sharp focus with manual lenses and most people shouldn't either
04-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neisey Quote

the 20 year old lenses may be the problem.. its pretty hard to tell tho..all my lenses are 2nd hand also and i never use an auto focus on any of my shots apart from when im using my 18-55 kit lense (which is once in a blue moon) - mayb try a faster shutter speed and crank the iso a bit. see if that helps at all? its always hard to take up close shots of flowers etc, when they are moving in the wind , so mayb a tripod might help also, even a monopod..
04-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #7

Hi there, I really enjoy these shots .. I loved pussy willows as a kid, and these relax me. I've never shot phots like this, would you please enlighten me as to what -if any- background was used? Also, which lens was used?

04-25-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Deludel! Thanks for the comments.

I am a beginner photographer and have MUCH to learn but one thing I was tremendously pleased with was the bokeh I achieved with these shots...the background is just grass. I used two lenses, a 27-70 and a 70-210, both at about 70mm (just testing diffrences in the lenses) and my settings were ISO 200 (cuz I forgot to even check this!), SS about 1000 (may have varied a tad over the range of photos I took) and f 4.5.

I did a tiny bit of PP in Picasa (cuz all I basically know how to do is crop, sharpen and basic conversions )

Let me know if there is anything else I could let you know about these.

Denise