Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Classic Car Showcase
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: k-5 Photo Location: Flemington, Melbourne, AUS 
Posted By: RichardS, 04-29-2014, 04:23 AM

I was invited to display my Saab in the RACV/AOMC Classic Showcase at the end of March this year. That's the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria and Association Of Motoring Clubs (Inc.) Victoria - "working for motoring enthusiasts". This show was for British and European cars plus "classic" Japanese cars. The American showcase was on 2014/04/13.

On the day before, I was trying to make up my mind whether or not to go (the weather forecast wasn't all that good) when I encountered a friend at the local petrol station filling up his 1930-something Singer. OK. I'm going.
I was overwhelmed by the number of cars there - around 1,100. When you are faced with a row of 20 or so MGAs, which one do you photograph? There are too many to take shots of all of them. So I just took shots of the cars that interested me. e.g. there were lots of sexy BMWs, some 635CSIs for example, but I noticed a couple of 1960s 2002 variants. And an Alpina.

I hope you enjoy some cars that aren't common. many of these shots have been posted in the geaheads thread in general talk. I hope they're interesting to a wider audience.

This car was made in Northern Ireland

The green car in the background is a Jensen Interceptor FF. The twin air intakes on the side say "FF".

I would guess that it's from 1968

Several European car companies at the time used the same formula - European body + American V8. The Jensen Interceptor FF was different because it had permanent 4WD, ABS and traction control. I think that Mercedes is credited with inventing ABS in around 1977, 9 years at least after Jensen had it. Did they have traction control and 4WD?

There were some Porsche Speedsters (replicas)

and some proper Porsches.

and a whole lot more...

Richard.
Views: 1,040
04-29-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More importantly, let's see your Saab!
04-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
love the jensen!! always wanted one.... at least i have one now...in pics
fine series, dave m
04-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Super series, Richard - I love that dark green Jensen.

And I second Dennis - let's see some shots of Mr. Red!!

Jer

04-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
Closed Account

Nice collection of Auto photos
The DMC is the car of the future !
04-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
More importantly, let's see your Saab!
Don't worry. It's in the pipeline

Richard.

---------- Post added 30-04-14 at 09:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
love the jensen!! always wanted one.... at least i have one now...in pics
fine series, dave m
Thanks, Dave.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Super series, Richard - I love that dark green Jensen.

And I second Dennis - let's see some shots of Mr. Red!!

Jer
Thanks, Jer. I still have a few shots to process. I've been a bit busy making money

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Nice collection of Auto photos
The DMC is the car of the future !
Thanks, Michael. I wonder how many people recognise it?

Richard.
04-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #7

Great photos! Love seeing the old iron.

QuoteQuote:
Several European car companies at the time used the same formula - European body + American V8. The Jensen Interceptor FF was different because it had permanent 4WD, ABS and traction control. I think that Mercedes is credited with inventing ABS in around 1977, 9 years at least after Jensen had it. Did they have traction control and 4WD?
The FF used a Dunlop Maxaret mechanical anti lock braking system, similar to those commonly found on aircraft at the time. The first electronic systems were produced by Ford and available on the rear axle of Lincoln Continentals starting in 1970. Chrysler and Bendix produced a four wheel anti lock system that they introduced on 1971 Imperials.

In 1978 Mercedes introduced the first digitally controlled anti lock braking system.

04-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
. . . . . . . . .Thanks, Jer. I still have a few shots to process. I've been a bit busy making money . . . . . . . . .

Richard.
Hey man - send me some of that cash!

Jer