Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Traditional Japanese Restaurant
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f 2.8 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Tokyo, Japan 
Posted By: RobG, 04-29-2014, 04:51 AM

Sadly, I miss out on a lot of very authentic restaurants and pubs in Japan, because they usually only have their menus in Japanese. I can figure out hiragana and katakana, but kanji is still too hard. It's great when I'm with a Japanese friend so we can go to such places. It's a shame to miss them!

Set meals in japan are wonderful!

And this will give you an idea of the challenge of reading the menu - even the prices are in kanji! We had the first two items (reading right to left); the Kado Set meal and Grilled Fish of the Day set meal.

Views: 699
04-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing these - Japanese restaurants are great. Luckily i always have some Japanes friends with me, otherwise I would be completely lost.Need to go back soon.
04-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are simple in design to the point of being austere but I like it.
04-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Thanks for sharing these - Japanese restaurants are great. Luckily i always have some Japanes friends with me, otherwise I would be completely lost.Need to go back soon.
You're lucky that you always have native speakers with you!

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
They are simple in design to the point of being austere but I like it.
Me too. The austere designs originate from Zen Buddhism, which was a way of thinking for hundreds of years in Edo period Japan. I like it too - I wish I could achieve the same sparse simplicity in my own home!

05-02-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
the challenge of reading the menu
You can at least order the Curry Rice :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I like it too - I wish I could achieve the same sparse simplicity in my own home!
Yes, the simplicity of Japanese houses is beautiful. Although most of the Japanese private homes I've seen, there is a surprising amount of clutter, stuff lying around etc....

Nice pictures, btw, they make me long for the summer... less than 3 months, and I'm there again :-)
05-02-2014, 03:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow meal looks good. Kudos to you ! I would have no clue on what anything said - hard enough time with English in anything but a times new roman font ha!
05-02-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beeldmark Quote
You can at least order the Curry Rice :-)
True, but I make カレーライス myself at home!

QuoteQuote:
Yes, the simplicity of Japanese houses is beautiful. Although most of the Japanese private homes I've seen, there is a surprising amount of clutter, stuff lying around etc....Nice pictures, btw, they make me long for the summer... less than 3 months, and I'm there again :-)
Thanks! I wish I was there sooner too, but summer in Japan is a time I prefer to miss. Too humid! I agree, there's a difference between the classic Edo period austerity and reality in most contemporary Japanese homes. I did get to visit a beautiful traditional wooden home in Ibaraki though, and sat at the heated table
in the central room to drink tea.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow meal looks good. Kudos to you ! I would have no clue on what anything said - hard enough time with English in anything but a times new roman font ha!
Thanks, I know the feeling! Now I have a few more words, I need to be more adventurous when I'm on my own. The meal was good - lots of great food in Japan if you just try it and don't get stuck on what you might be eating! Most of it really isn't so strange. Sometimes I wonder if Colonel Sanders visited Japan and discovered karaage (fried chicken).