Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Biking in the moontins
Posted By: thomasjmpark, 04-24-2008, 04:56 PM

Hi,

It was a perfect day for biking and photography today so off we went. We both got so carried away with the biking that I didnt get a chance to get the camera out until the light had started to fade. Im off work tomorrow so may try going back up there for a 2nd go

All shots are from a trail about 8 miles from Keswick. The guy on the bike is my friend Arron and the tiny little town on the left of the 3rd is Keswick. By the way, the track in these shots looks easy, and was until we went over the hill where it dissapears. It gets very rocky and we noth fell off twice, my arms still ache and im sure tomorrow I will be hobbling around John Wayne style

Views: 1,530
04-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
that 1st shot is awesome! i used to ride downhill mountain bikes and a bit of xc also, when i was in my teens and this pics jogged a few memorys for sure. nice series of shots mate.,. extremely picturesque !

ps- i had to mention your avatar!! i love it!! hahah!
04-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks DV, its good to see you on here again I have to say we are still 'noobs' at mountain biking but are getting better, more confident and more importantly faster. Its great fun and exercise, which I need for my developing beer belly

lol yes the avatar still amuses me too but may be changing soon though, thanks.
04-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, my! I am reminded that to do landscape I have to get out on the land.

04-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Thanks DV, its good to see you on here again I have to say we are still 'noobs' at mountain biking but are getting better, more confident and more importantly faster. Its great fun and exercise, which I need for my developing beer belly

lol yes the avatar still amuses me too but may be changing soon though, thanks.
yeh, sweet.. mtb is an awesome hobby.. if you use disk breaks and its muddy as hell, remember to keep a can of coke in ure bag. pour the coke over the disks and let it dry. it works,. haha
04-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

great shots, both with the bike rider and without.
04-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wonderful views! Very nice work

04-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
pour the coke over the disks and let it dry. it works,. haha
There's always another use... no, wait a minute, that's the slogan for WD40. Don't put WD40 on your brake disks.

The scenery is alway pretty around Keswick as you've shown, Tom, but those clouds... wow! And you always get the exposure spot on to bring out their best. Bracketing, or sheer skill?
04-25-2008, 02:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thankyou very much everyone

DV, good tip. Ive got a spray that does a similar job and works pretty well but its expensive compared to can of coke!

Steve, not skilled enough to do that without lots of pp. Although I didnt bracket I did use 3 exposures created from 1. there was just to much of a mix of bright sky behind the cloud and very deep shadow everywhere else.

Thanks again
04-25-2008, 03:19 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Nice shots Tom. I like the first one as it gives a good sense of size perspective - man vs. mountain. So are you saying the nice gravel path was a teaser? It just ends abruptly over the next rise? Now that's mean! You must have pretty decent bikes to withstand the punishment of bouncing off rocks and such.
04-25-2008, 03:27 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff Yes the track got decidedly more rocky, that why we stopped there as I knew we wouldnt be able to once we started on the rocky road. Our bikes are fairly decent but pretty much entry level, they can put up with alot of punishment though. My chain got jammed a few times and Aarons tire got a puncture Great fun though, we clocked in at 38mph down one of the straight, less rocky, hills!