Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My Floral Macro Today
Posted By: roentarre, 01-25-2007, 03:16 AM

I went out to try how shallow the DOF is with A* 200mm f4 macro and I did all the shots handheld! Not many flowers around but I played around with DOF.

All taken as PEF converted in Biblepro to Jpegs.

1/250s f/4.5 iso400 full exif

1/500s f/8.0 iso400 full exif

1/750s f/8.0 iso200 full exif

1/90s f/8.0 iso100 full exif

1/180s f/8.0 iso100 full exif

1/180s f/8.0 iso200 full exif

1/180s f/8.0 iso200 full exif

Thanks for looking!
Views: 1,826
01-25-2007, 03:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster

01-25-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
very nice bokeh for me! I like these photos!
1, 2, 3, 5 from first series are very decent macro photos.
and I like 2 from the second series... I would only crop it some other way... I really like it - it has great dof, fine bokeh and excellent tones... lucky you with all those great lenses..
01-25-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How would you crop the 2nd pic in 2nd serie?

QuoteOriginally posted by kjask Quote
very nice bokeh for me! I like these photos!
1, 2, 3, 5 from first series are very decent macro photos.
and I like 2 from the second series... I would only crop it some other way... I really like it - it has great dof, fine bokeh and excellent tones... lucky you with all those great lenses..
Hi kjask

Thank you for the compliments.

I was wondering how you would crop the photo. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

And you are so modest. You took amazing photos and I saw them posted here all the time.

I had spent too much money on this hobby already. I need to shift my focus somewhere else ... like taking more photos

01-25-2007, 06:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi James,
here is my quick version with some more sharpness added - but I'm not sure if it's ok... I just more prefer 2:3 or square ratio... ok, this is not 100% 2:3, but it's near...

Maybe you should switch your focus on "manual".. Autofocus is obviously focusing on LBA And I think there's just nothing wrong with this...

and the square version:

01-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Forum Member

#'s 1, 2, 3, 7 & 8...

... I like the best. Framing wise I would crop a little off the bottom of the frame in the first image. The others work fine for me as they are. Mind you, it's possible to fiddle ad- finitum with framing. The approach that works for me when I'm not entirely satisfied is to leave it for a while & come back to it down the track sometime.
Cheers
Stomie
01-25-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think you have the DOF shallow enough. You could take a photo of the edge of a razor. Your abilities cause me to sin, creating envy in my heart.
Thanks for the posts. Rich in color and tiny detail.
01-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stomie Quote
... I like the best. Framing wise I would crop a little off the bottom of the frame in the first image. The others work fine for me as they are. Mind you, it's possible to fiddle ad- finitum with framing. The approach that works for me when I'm not entirely satisfied is to leave it for a while & come back to it down the track sometime.
Cheers
Stomie
I have been wondering about framing for my shots since I saw various beautiful frames provided by Clarence. I never ended up having a good frame made by myself. I will look hard into some books about framing ...

Yeah, thanks for the feedback

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
I think you have the DOF shallow enough. You could take a photo of the edge of a razor. Your abilities cause me to sin, creating envy in my heart.
Thanks for the posts. Rich in color and tiny detail.
Clarence, I was having a little fun myself. That shot was so difficult to do atually with the tree bark. The most difficult one is the purple flower shot as there is such a strong wind blowing hard making me so dizzy with manual focusing...

QuoteOriginally posted by kjask Quote
Hi James,
here is my quick version with some more sharpness added - but I'm not sure if it's ok... I just more prefer 2:3 or square ratio... ok, this is not 100% 2:3, but it's near...

Maybe you should switch your focus on "manual".. Autofocus is obviously focusing on LBA And I think there's just nothing wrong with this...

and the square version:

Yeah, it does give off a more balanced look. Thanks for that help. Would try to do more shots today with the lens

It is great to have everyone offering advice

01-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very nice photos! Love the DOF, colors, 2 an 3 - personal favorites!

Regards,
D
01-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi All!

The nearest two days I shall specify on the site (P) "link" to a site where for a macrophoto there is the special program, allowing to receive from set of stage-by-stage pictures " depth of sharpness " in macrophotos. Earlier this program was free-of-charge. On this site there is also a small editor " a camera - an editor - seal " - there is a free-of-charge version

The best regards!
01-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Really?

QuoteOriginally posted by Prizmatic Quote
Hi All!

The nearest two days I shall specify on the site (P) "link" to a site where for a macrophoto there is the special program, allowing to receive from set of stage-by-stage pictures " depth of sharpness " in macrophotos. Earlier this program was free-of-charge. On this site there is also a small editor " a camera - an editor - seal " - there is a free-of-charge version

The best regards!
I am still a little confused but I would love to find out more. You will post it in general section?

Regards
01-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Hi!
Literally " has gone on a forum for a second ":
On the site "Erased a hieroglyph" (a way - button " New ", an inscription " interesting sites " and inscriptions " Web - the Catalogue " - "F" - "P") under "P" (by "next") are placed sites of " technical support ", there and there will be a link to that site. I today looked this site, now at the free-of-charge version " for macroshooting " there is " a translucent inscription of the owner of the program "... But cost itself the program cheaply... Tomorrow I shall try " to reach my site "...

The best regards!
01-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

given a choice...

#2 and #5...

#2: the rich purple stamens of the asiatic lily - fantastic

#5: this looks very similar to a yellow zinnia photo of mine...

That's why I am grateful every day for digital - you can practice all day long. It seems to me good sir you are enjoying yourself far too much... out taking photos instead of buying lenses... what's wrong with you??

So, have you thought about using a flash yet? To me, it only increases the creative options.... although ambient light is hard to beat!!!!

Cheers,
Marc
01-26-2007, 10:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great work James. I like the slivers of focus you've got going here. Your colour and saturation are also right on.

**Feeling the need for a macro lens now!!!.........give me the strength to resist.....for a little while, anyways**
01-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Very nice photos! Love the DOF, colors, 2 an 3 - personal favorites!

Regards,
D
These 2 shots were taken at my backyard. Bought them a few months back from nursery They blossomed!

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
#2 and #5...

#2: the rich purple stamens of the asiatic lily - fantastic

#5: this looks very similar to a yellow zinnia photo of mine...

That's why I am grateful every day for digital - you can practice all day long. It seems to me good sir you are enjoying yourself far too much... out taking photos instead of buying lenses... what's wrong with you??

So, have you thought about using a flash yet?
Marc
I am not buying any new flash yet as I am never good with using it. Unlike jfdavis, I am in my infancy with all these metering parameters (impossible for me to learn all about it right now)

Marc, I did see your shot hence I was excited to get the #5 photo. I took about 20 of them and this one is the only one that I could use (pity head not in focus).

I need to take enough shots to make money's worth

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
Great work James. I like the slivers of focus you've got going here. Your colour and saturation are also right on.

**Feeling the need for a macro lens now!!!.........give me the strength to resist.....for a little while, anyways**
Andrew, it is the lens! It is really worthwhile getting some top pentax gear. It is really something other competition brands can't offer.

Thanks for your kind words, Andrew.