Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Putting film in my K20D...
Posted By: codiac2600, 04-25-2008, 08:23 AM

I know you guys love my colors and contrast so here is a sampling of how my images transform.

I'd like to thank my buddy Antoin who posed for me before a model shoot so I can nail the old school lighting I was looking for with a twist of course.

BTW, what do you guys think of this simple old fashioned lighting setup? I think it's totally June Cleaver...

Here is the unprocessed image straight from the cam w/o the white balance even set because I was set to manual for something else and forgot to set it at 5500K.


Here is the same image with my color and contrast boost action plus fixes:


Here is the second image with my film action added... btw I love the look:


Here is a couple more samples with the color and contrast boost action applied:



Views: 2,420
04-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,709
I love his expression there Chris. Although he isn't your most attractive model ever

I'm often amazed what a little trweak here and there can do to a photo.
04-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,643
Of the top 3 images, I like the second the best. You can see the WB issue in the first and that makes sense from your note. The second looks much better. IMHO The third has a good look but the processing also blew out parts of the skin on the cheeks and back of the neck. So although the "film look" works I don't think it helped the exposure.
04-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,787
Aggreed with Peter here. 2nd shot pops with better clarity to details.

He had a haircut! And less acne too. Hehe

You have been really busy, Chris

04-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 374
#2 FTW

The other seems too "blown out"

Although I know you like that style....

I prefer your other Asian Model... (hehehe)

On the other "non-cup" shots.... I think it is the shine on the skin that is throwing the shot off.

Next time see if you can use some makeup (pancake I think it is called) to get rid of the shine and then the PP will be awesome I think.

D.
04-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,027
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I love his expression there Chris. Although he isn't your most attractive model ever

I'm often amazed what a little trweak here and there can do to a photo.
Thanks Stu and like I always say, tweak it till it squeaks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Of the top 3 images, I like the second the best. You can see the WB issue in the first and that makes sense from your note. The second looks much better. IMHO The third has a good look but the processing also blew out parts of the skin on the cheeks and back of the neck. So although the "film look" works I don't think it helped the exposure.
Thanks Peter. Yeah, his skin is funny and the style I was going for tends to push the highlights beyond what it should. If you've ever seen those old food items with pictures of the person on it and the faces were typically blown or on the old magazine ads. I feel in love with the loose abuse of highlights. I do agree in this case it's a bit much, but his skin is more of the factor I think.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Aggreed with Peter here. 2nd shot pops with better clarity to details.

He had a haircut! And less acne too. Hehe

You have been really busy, Chris
Thanks James and I have been busy. I'll be even busier as long as the weather holds up from now until Monday morning. Two more shoots to go till next Thursday then three more! YAY!

QuoteOriginally posted by Gadget_Guy Quote
#2 FTW

The other seems too "blown out"

Although I know you like that style....

I prefer your other Asian Model... (hehehe)

On the other "non-cup" shots.... I think it is the shine on the skin that is throwing the shot off.

Next time see if you can use some makeup (pancake I think it is called) to get rid of the shine and then the PP will be awesome I think.

D.
The others don't have anything besides the cup blown out.... hmmmmm... What I've noticed even in older pics is his complexion is funny. Almost white in areas and it's tough to get a great exposure on him. His skin doesn't do so well with the contrast boost I think and powder wouldn't help. His skin is physically tanner at the edges and close to his hair line.

I need to get a model with better skin in there to run a better test on the lighting and see...
04-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 374
Sorry... my apologies.... "blown out" was the wrong terminology... (still learning)

I was refering to the shine on his skin. You are right it is not blown out it is just seems reflective (I don't know how to put it into words)

Its still a great shot. I just like the PP in 2 rather than 3 personally.

Like they say... opinions are like.... well you know... What maters the most is what you think of them.

I am just happy if something is in focus.

D.

04-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Tom M's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 780
first image is best.. don't like the 'actions' at all.. to each their own though.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
action, btw, camera, color, contrast, film, guys, image, love, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting A K-x Kit Together.... magkelly Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 10-16-2010 01:43 PM
Putting 2 and 2 together... Eigengrau Pentax News and Rumors 65 06-13-2010 04:26 PM
Putting the polish on NaClH2O Post Your Photos! 0 05-17-2008 06:33 PM
advices on putting DA35 through its paces? q10 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 05-15-2008 01:17 AM
Need Help With putting photo in profile FLASH Site Suggestions and Help 7 04-18-2007 07:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top