Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mecum Auction - Old Porsches
Lens: FA 31/1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Reliant Center, Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-29-2014, 07:47 PM

Mercifully for all concerned (including me), this is the last post of my series on the Mecum auto auction I attended about three weeks ago in Houston. I'm finishing up with color and B&W pics of some old Porsches - I wish I'd seen more, but although a 1960 356 Cabrio (pic posted earlier) was a top ten big money car, the marque - like Italian, British and other German sports cars - was generally poorly represented. The examples here were - quite frankly - pretty tatty, but it was fun (and, for me) exciting to see them.

The first car is a '68 Porsche 912 - essentially an entry-level version of the 911 powered with the by-then aging 1.6L 90 HP Porsche pushrod flat 4 carried over from the 356. The 912 was my introduction to Porsche decades ago; in late '70 or early '71, my wife and I drove a slightly-used 912 (which had just been replaced by the 914), and I was mesmerized by the sharp, precise handling compared with my clumsy '69 Mach I. Even used, the 912 - after addition of the absolutely necessary high-end stereo and some other stuff - was beyond our financial reach, and we moved on to buy a more prosaic, but lovable new Camaro, which we kept for a whole 4 years (unusual for us in those days). Even so, I never forgot the feel of that 912, and it was the reason - after all these years - I'm driving a Porsche today.

The other cars (examples of which I've never driven) gave me a glimpse into Porsche's past with what appeared to be unrestored examples.

Jer

1968 Porsche 912 - I dig the funky '60s color:

1970 911E Targa - pretty rough but fun to see:

Early '90s 964-series 911 Cabrio:

Early '90s 968 - an excellent sports car, but being unrelated to either the dying 928 and the 911, with DNA dating back 20 years to the 924, facing cheaper competition from Japan and facing the market's instance that Porsche sports cars should have engines behind the cockpit, it was replaced by the mid-engined (as Issac Newton intended) Boxster :

Last edited by Sailor; 04-29-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Views: 1,015
04-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is one awesome red on the first car. Nice series.
04-30-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now we are in your wheelhouse buddy well done.
04-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice job with the shots Jer.I like watching Mecum on the tube and daydreaming about the old days.--capn zap

04-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, the classic 911. I saw my first 901 (the original designation before Peugeot objected) in early 1964 when I was stationed in Wiesbaden. A little while later R&T posted it's first road test. From then on I saw them at every race, rally, and hill climb. I loved the sound of that flat 6 and still do! After a short time they started showing up on the autobahn with blue lights!

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 04-30-2014 at 02:25 PM.
04-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Nice pics. Really nice.

I've never had a Porsche, but I've always admired them from afar....and sometimes near.

I'm in my 60's and still recall when I first saw a photo of the Porsche 9 series. It was in Road & Track magazine in the 1960's.

I was completely taken with the simple, graceful lines then...and still am these many years later.

In my humble opinion, I feel the basic...without spoilers, etc...Porsche 911 series, coupe style....has never really been equaled. I say that because the style is simple, elegant, efficient, looks like a rain drop and never, ever, goes out of fashion....even some 50 years +/- later.

The 911 still looks fresh, modern, cutting edge. I can't think of any other automobile design that has maintained it's style, without need for much change.

I think that...that...qualifies the 9 series design as a timeless and essentially excellent design.

In addition...I like the flat boxer six cylinder engine. I've been a fervent admirers of the boxer engine...BMW motorcycle flat twin, VW flat 4, Porsche flat 4 and 6, Honda Goldwing 4/6, Subaru 4/5.

Thanks to Ferdinand Porsche and Hans Ledwinka of Tatra fame.
04-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
That is one awesome red on the first car. Nice series.
Thanks, Trev.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Now we are in your wheelhouse buddy well done.
Hey, old buddy, thanks much - glad you liked 'em.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice job with the shots Jer.I like watching Mecum on the tube and daydreaming about the old days.--capn zap
Thanks, Capn. Mecum offers up some wonderful dreams of yesterday.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Ah, the classic 911. I saw my first 901 (the original designation before Peugeot objected) in early 1964 when I was stationed in Wiesbaden. A little while later R&T posted it's first road test. From then on I saw them at every race, rally, and hill climb. I loved the sound of that flat 6 and still do! After a short time they started showing up on the autobahn with blue lights!
Thanks for looking and commenting, Steve. I guess you saw the original "Blue-Light Specials."

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice pics. Really nice.

I've never had a Porsche, but I've always admired them from afar....and sometimes near.

I'm in my 60's and still recall when I first saw a photo of the Porsche 9 series. It was in Road & Track magazine in the 1960's.

I was completely taken with the simple, graceful lines then...and still am these many years later.

In my humble opinion, I feel the basic...without spoilers, etc...Porsche 911 series, coupe style....has never really been equaled. I say that because the style is simple, elegant, efficient, looks like a rain drop and never, ever, goes out of fashion....even some 50 years +/- later.

The 911 still looks fresh, modern, cutting edge. I can't think of any other automobile design that has maintained it's style, without need for much change.

I think that...that...qualifies the 9 series design as a timeless and essentially excellent design.

In addition...I like the flat boxer six cylinder engine. I've been a fervent admirers of the boxer engine...BMW motorcycle flat twin, VW flat 4, Porsche flat 4 and 6, Honda Goldwing 4/6, Subaru 4/5.

Thanks to Ferdinand Porsche and Hans Ledwinka of Tatra fame.
I'm on my second Boxster, Les, and I can tell you they have a feel all their own. I love the 911 - even the new ones embody that timeless look. I'm may end up buying one down the road . . . . . . if I can wean myself off the balance of a mid-engine car. The flat six is wonderful - the 3.4 L in my Boxster S is a joy to hear as it breaks into that chain-saw snarl about 6000 rpm.

Jer

04-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's nice to see these old ones, Jer.

I can remember the ones with blue lights on the Autobahn. They used them sometimes to enforce the left-hand lane is for overtaking only rule. They would drive flat-out in the left-hand lane and if they got baulked, the blue lights came on and you were booked. They never got me

A guy across the road has a bright red mid 1980s Carrera, the variant with the 930 turbo like big tail. Unmistakable sound when he starts it up.

Richard.
05-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Some nice shot sin here, and fun to see all the old cars. I've always wanted a Porsche…. maybe in the next life? I especially liked the closeup shots of the details, very cool!
05-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
It's nice to see these old ones, Jer.

I can remember the ones with blue lights on the Autobahn. They used them sometimes to enforce the left-hand lane is for overtaking only rule. They would drive flat-out in the left-hand lane and if they got baulked, the blue lights came on and you were booked. They never got me

A guy across the road has a bright red mid 1980s Carrera, the variant with the 930 turbo like big tail. Unmistakable sound when he starts it up.

Richard.
I'm glad you like them, Richard. I've seen Porsches on the Autobahn, but none with blue lights . I was always driving or riding in a rental car, but I marveled as Porsches and other fast cars seemed to materialize from nowhere right behind us. We scrupulously stayed in the right lane.

Those whale-tail cars were egregious, for sure. I see a black one around town, occasionally and always enjoy the sound of that air-cooled motor with its chain saw snarl.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Some nice shot sin here, and fun to see all the old cars. I've always wanted a Porsche…. maybe in the next life? I especially liked the closeup shots of the details, very cool!
Thanks much, Jerry. I wanted one practically all of my life, and about five years ago, a few months after I retired, I bought an '08 Boxster with some supportive nudging from my wonderful wife. A year ago I traded that car for a '13 Boxster S, which is much more powerful and has a totally new chassis that seems to defy the laws of physics. Lots of fun for an old geezer like me.

Jer