Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Whitehouse Rocks
Lens: DA 21, FA 50 macro, FA 100 macro Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 04-29-2014, 07:47 PM

Enjoyed a hike up to Whitehouse Rocks in Rocky Fork Wilderness area recently. It's only about 4 miles, but a good steady uphill, and much of it off trail. But it leads to one of the clearest views at Rocky Fork.

Along the way we hiked in a small stream that was full of moss and salamanders. Not sure of this species, probably one of the many Plethodon salamanders.

One of my favorite Trillium species was at peak bloom. Painted Trillium (Trillium undulatum) thrives in places that are a bit higher and drier than the habitats of most other trilliums.

These Duskywings also thrive where it's high and dry!

As does Fetterbush - a real butterfly magnet. This old and faded Spring (?) Azure was feasting on fetterbush nectar.

As were these Tiger Swallowtails.

Hope you enjoyed the hike. Thanks for any comments & critique!

Views: 629
05-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Somehow missed this thread. Great photos, as usual. Perhaps you could share some Morel pics? I've been hunting them all spring, and haven't found one. I don't recall ever seeing them in nature, only when brought in by someone else. I have heard of several people finding them in bunches around here this Spring. Maybe I'm cursed; I spent hours searching one prime spot a few weeks ago, and I was told someone else went to the same spot a few days later and found 75 within minutes. I was too early, I guess. I'm going to make one more concentrated effort this weekend.
05-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Tony- Have only seen a few morels this year. Did take a few snapshots of one, and will try to find time to post it sometime soon.