Off Into the Horizon... an image of New Mexico
Posted By: Matthew Roberts, 04-25-2008, 09:14 PM

Westbound train in E. New Mexico.
Views: 2,508
04-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Matthew, It's a funny thing, some shots. If I was standing by the roadside and saw this scene, I'd bet you $100 I wouldn't take this shot. But looking at it I find it really compelling and I can't say for sure why. I think it's the big sky. I only wish the flare wasn't there. Glad you took the shot though and posted it. Nice B&W conversion as well.
04-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Peter. To me there's a romantic, wild sense, evoked by the openess and endlessness hinted at in the picture. with just a little bit of civilization: the train and grain elevator.

I just realized that the flare looked much better in the color version; I had a picture without the flare, but chose this one on purpose b/c of it, looking at it in color.
04-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It certainly looks good. A bit of grain might even make the shot better

04-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Matthew: 125 years ago William Henry Jackson could have taken this photo - and might have done so quite near this spot. I knock around the edge of the sagebrush prairie every three or four years (Raton, Trinidad, CO / Cimarron, NM, etc.) and this has a familiar feel that really grabbed me. For me the distant grain elevator makes the shot - that land makes us seem so small in it. Choosing to desaturate it was a great decision.

If I may ask, where is this and what railroad is it?
04-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx, roentarre.

Monochrome, it's a really familiar place for me, I live in Austin, Texas, and get out to West Texas and E. New Mexico at least once or twice a year.

IF I remember right, I think this has to be Melrose, NM, on the BNSF Transcon between Clovis and Vaughn.
04-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Matthew, It's a funny thing, some shots. If I was standing by the roadside and saw this scene, I'd bet you $100 I wouldn't take this shot. But looking at it I find it really compelling and I can't say for sure why. I think it's the big sky. I only wish the flare wasn't there. Glad you took the shot though and posted it. Nice B&W conversion as well.
Mathew, Peter hit the nail on the head - I don't think I would have "seen" this shot at all. I'm not troubled by the flare.

Great job.

Jer

04-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jer. I took a second look at the flare, and it's fine with me now.

The place was pretty desolate, that part of N. Mex. and the Texas Panhandle are pretty much one and the same.