Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Jennifer (True Blood inspired moonlight shoot)
Lens: SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Alnarpsparken, Lomma, Sweden ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: DonThomaso, 05-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Jennifer wanted to do a True Blood-inspired moonlight photoshoot. It was a challenge and I usually don't shoot with flashes outside, but why not try it out? Here are a couple of shots from that session. Enjoy!

Pentax K-3, SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited @ ISO 200, f/2.5, 1/180s. Two YN-560 II flashes (one in front, one in back, around @1/64)

Pentax K-3, SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited @ ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/180s. Two YN-560 II flashes (one in front, one in back, around @1/64)

Pentax K-3, SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited @ ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/180s. Two YN-560 II flashes (one in front, one in back, around @1/64)

Views: 1,188
05-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting series, like the last one best and the first one least.
05-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I applaud your effort, and I think you got some nice results. In terms of mimicking moonlight, or night lighting in general, you may want to try setting your brightest source behind the subject, and filling in as necessary from the front. The shot below was during an night shoot. We weren't mimicking moonlight, because we were in an area with street lamps, but I think the feeling of the lighting seems a little more light night than when the subject is keyed primarily from the front.

If you already knew all of that, and simply chose to light from the front, I apologize. I was just trying to be helpful and supportive.

05-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments and advice! There is a series of shots from True Blood that inspired us, so it was something in that direction we wen't for. It doesn't feel too realistic, but I guess that is a tradeoff when you do portraits at dusk

05-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Jennifer (True Blood inspired moonlight shoot) Report Post Like DonThomaso's Post Lens: SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Alnarpsparken, Lomma, Sweden ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F2.8 Posted By: DonThomaso, Yesterday, 11:33 PM (Offline) Jennifer wanted to do a True Blood-inspired moonlight photoshoot. It was a challenge and I usually don't shoot with flashes outside, but why not try it out? Here are a couple of shots from that session. Enjoy!
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very interesting series, like the last one best and the first one least.
I concur this - last shot has got the most of it for me as well !
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I applaud your effort, and I think you got some nice results. In terms of mimicking moonlight, or night lighting in general, you may want to try setting your brightest source behind the subject, and filling in as necessary from the front. The shot below was during an night shoot. We weren't mimicking moonlight, because we were in an area with street lamps, but I think the feeling of the lighting seems a little more light night than when the subject is keyed primarily from the front.
great piece of advise - I will keep that in mind for when the idea for some night shots struck me Thanks !
05-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like the first one best, by the way.

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 12:47 AM ----------

Your portrait certainly looks more realistic than theirs...it looks like they went out of their way to make sure there was no skin texture...
05-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm glad that you enjoy them! The series consists of 8 photos, all are up on Flickr