Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Birds in flight
Lens: 55-300mm wr Camera: k-50 Photo Location: PA Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: remark13, 05-08-2014, 04:48 PM

To relax after work went down by the river and got to see mallards, osprey, geese and a bald eagle Oh my!!! Now I have seen some spectacular shots here of birds of prey with a 300mm lens. Were as I always seem to be wishing the reach was just a wee bit more.... are there any tricks I am missing keeping in mind I don't wish to smell like fish . I have the river in front and cliff behind and I would love to find a way to get closer -- the bald eagle is about as close as I seem to get with predators so far, but I did find a nest so I will go camp out there soon
Love any input, please be kind as I have just been figuring out my first dslr for about a week or two now. So much to learn, but so much fun! Thank you all in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 801
05-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have much success with birds in flight myself or even getting close to birds like eagles usually (and I live in a place where eagles are an everyday sight). Unless you are getting your shots in a sanctuary where the birds are relatively tame, getting close involves a lot of luck. Having said that, your mallard shot looks pretty good to me (but a bit dark perhaps) and your eagle is probably about the best you can hope to do most of the time. Just keep trying.
05-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I don't have much success with birds in flight myself or even getting close to birds like eagles usually (and I live in a place where eagles are an everyday sight). Unless you are getting your shots in a sanctuary where the birds are relatively tame, getting close involves a lot of luck. Having said that, your mallard shot looks pretty good to me (but a bit dark perhaps) and your eagle is probably about the best you can hope to do most of the time. Just keep trying.
Thanks for the input, will definitely keep at it. I am pretty determined to figure this out and it is too much fun chasing birds -- much better than pulling weeds.
I agree about the picture showing too dark (though when looking at it on my computer it didn't seem quite that dark), but even adjusting the exposure settings yesterday everything seemed to come out a notch under exposed and it was relatively sunny -- go figure. I can't really test too much today, very cloudy and the battery needs charging. Any suggestions as to where I may have buggered up the exposure would be great. It seemed over exposed just the day before. Ugh.
La
05-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #4

Try bracket exposure. That also increases your chances of a capture less affected by movement. Also see if your camera does catch-in-focus.

But yes, a lot of it is luck. I can take hundreds and only get a few that are good enough to share.