Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sibling Portraiture... Tokyo Style?!
Posted By: codiac2600, 04-27-2008, 03:22 PM

My buddy Antoin, you should all know him very well by now, and his younger sister needed some shots done. Reason... Mothers Day!

I agreed and here are my picks for the top pics for their sweet and kind mother.

BTW, all shots are straight from camera converted to Jpeg.

Seeya!

Views: 2,713
04-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As usual, these are just brilliant.
Lighting - second to none.
What more to say?
This will be a nice mother's day gift!
04-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice portraiture Chris. These are excellent choices to send to their Mom. They are both very photogenic and are quite relaxed in front of the camera.

(It would be challenging for my sisters and I to be in the same room let alone the same picture! )
04-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'll bet she would love any of them, they are really good portraits. I like the first one

04-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

The last one would be my choice.

That is hillarious and should bring a smile to any mothers face.

Now that I understand the situation with your buds complexion the shots are awesome.

D.
04-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
As usual, these are just brilliant.
Lighting - second to none.
What more to say?
This will be a nice mother's day gift!
Thanks Ash

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Nice portraiture Chris. These are excellent choices to send to their Mom. They are both very photogenic and are quite relaxed in front of the camera.

(It would be challenging for my sisters and I to be in the same room let alone the same picture! )
Thanks J and I'm not sure which they want, but they will let me know by tonight hopefully. They were a challenge themselves.

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I'll bet she would love any of them, they are really good portraits. I like the first one
Thank you and I hope so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gadget_Guy Quote
The last one would be my choice.

That is hillarious and should bring a smile to any mothers face.

Now that I understand the situation with your buds complexion the shots are awesome.

D.
Thank you D and it's still noticeable without any adjustments now. Luckily for me he is doing all his own photoshop work so I won't have to deal with the hassle.
04-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Love them

Chris,

This is a GREAT series... Thier mother will love it!!!!

My personal favorite is the phone texting pic.. had to lol at that one.. and also the pic right after that of Antoin.. What a GREAT smile you captured!!!!

Thier mother is very lucky!!!! What a GREAT gift!!!

Kim

04-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
Chris,

This is a GREAT series... Thier mother will love it!!!!

My personal favorite is the phone texting pic.. had to lol at that one.. and also the pic right after that of Antoin.. What a GREAT smile you captured!!!!

Thier mother is very lucky!!!! What a GREAT gift!!!

Kim
Thanks Kim

Whats sad though was the texts and calls were real... I kept them because they mentioned their parents know them best on their phones

But at least they have team spirit..........?
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I like the Text Messaging shot, Great stuff. All are very good and It would be hard to choose. I like the 'peace symbol' shot as well. The most recent "Ying and Yang"?? is excellent as well.

As always the lighting is perfect. Very well done series Chris. The colour of the backdrop is great for their skin tones as well.
04-28-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I like the Text Messaging shot, Great stuff. All are very good and It would be hard to choose. I like the 'peace symbol' shot as well. The most recent "Ying and Yang"?? is excellent as well.

As always the lighting is perfect. Very well done series Chris. The colour of the backdrop is great for their skin tones as well.
Lol, thanks Peter and I'm not sure it's Ying and Yang, but more of my brother is stupid and makes some dumb poses for us to do. Her expression in that shot gives it all away.

I fell in love with this new background paper, as it's not something you see everyday. I hope to use it more and more, but the color absorbs my gels so I may get bored of it.
04-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Another fun series Chris with some great candids . I know it is hard work , but it looks like so much fun (guess that is the point )
04-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I kept scrolling through the initial post, wondering where the "Tokyo Style" comes in. Then I got to the last one with the peace signs. I love it! They're all great portraits, but that one made me smile.

A note for anyone who might be wondering what "Tokyo Style" has to do with peace signs: In Japan it is practically impossible to take a photo of anyone without them reflexively flashing a peace sign. It's like a genetically programmed reaction to having a camera pointed at them. It is so common that not only are they not conscious of doing it, for the most part they are entirely oblivious to peace signs in photos. I remember a high school girl showing me a group photo taken of her senior trip to Kyoto. There were about 40 girls gathered in the standard group photo formation and together we counted something like 60 or 70 peace signs. The foreigners who saw the picture had a reaction like, "Jesus!!!! Look at all the peace signs!!!!".....to which all the Japanese present had a reaction like, "What the hell are you talking about?"
04-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I know what you meant by Tokyo style. It is just that Japanese has a totally different type of perceptions to the things surrounding them.

The pose in the last couple of shots do indicate the type of movements that could invoke plenty of laughter and resonance in the audience in certain type of talk show or comedy.

Looks fun and creative. Chris, you have been thinking hard!
04-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Good job as always Chris ! I 'm sure that would be a lovely Mother's Day gift !

Tran
04-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Real nice shots for their Mother Chris. Great lighting.

Paul