Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Marmots and Macro's
Posted By: little laker, 04-27-2008, 03:44 PM

I'm visiting my mom's, so these were just processed on my laptop. As a result I can't be sure of the photo quality. I hope that it's alright

I noticed that my Marmot friends are back, so I slapped on my Sigma 135 - 400 onto my K100D for these photographs.

I love his pose here

And then I grabbed out my Sigma SD14, snapped on a modified Vivitar 2x teleconverter, which allowed me to use a Pentax FA 50mm F2.8 Macro for these photographs.

and my personal favorite.

They were all hand held, with a remote flash.

There is no cropping involved, and the flowers are around double the size if a pin head.
Views: 1,723
04-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work, especially the last two shots, where you managed to get the not-essential things so well out-of-focus, that they do not disturb the image. See, that's my suggestion for the marmots' pictures as well. May take some postprocessing cheating, but hey! If the images are improved by it? Why not? They do not serve a historical, legal or political goal, do they?

Syb
04-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Syb,

There is a chance that I'll process the second marmot photograph, however it'll be on my home computer when I'm feeling a little healthier

I actually have somewhere close to 100 photographs of the playful creatures from last year
They're always fun to watch.
04-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Lovely flowers..

Love the flower shots Stu....

The purple one is my favorite... Great shot.. and wonderful color in them all..

Marmots/Ground squirrels/Rock Chucks... are funny little creatures for sure... But you know me... I like them close up and first two seem to get lost in the grass..... Maybe just a bit of a crop would help them stand out a bit more????

Looks like you are enoying your time at your moms..... Thats a good thing!!!

Thanks for sharin... Kim

04-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Kim,

I've packed my laptop away, and am on my mom's computer for the night.
However I'll post the cropped versions of those pic's tomorrow after I get home.

My mom's monitor, or it might be the video card are downright awful. Everything is almost black So I'm wondering how the images will look when I get home on a real monitor.
04-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

darkness

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
My mom's monitor, or it might be the video card are downright awful. Everything is almost black So I'm wondering how the images will look when I get home on a real monitor.
The two white flower pictures are a bit dark... but actually work very well... I wouldn't consider them too dark... .. the marmot pictures are not dark at all..

I will be anxious to see what cropping a bit does !!

Drive careful home.... Kim
04-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Kim,

I want to post the macros on that fishing site, and really want them to pop. And to proudly say that my editing helped make the photo

I'll be taking the long route home, and seeing my chiropractor along the way. So with a little luck I'll get some sweet photographs, and feel better at the same time.

BTW, I'm about 90% over that nasty cold or whatever it was Although I still have a nasty cough at times, and am drinking 4 times more fluids than normal.

04-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I see that they're too dark now that I'm on my main computer.
So here you folks have the better version of the macros, plus a couple more.

I'm not fond of this one, however if I take enough time with it I think it has some potential.

This one's just a little softer than I'd like. I wanted all 3 flowers in focus at once, and didn't quite get it

and still my favorite

I hope that you like them better
04-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

yes and no...

For the most part Stu I do like them better.. Esspecially last one(your favorite) adding a bit more color to that one made it WONDERFUL!!!! Really great job on that one..

The first one though, I think I prefer the darker version. I like the richness that the darker version gives it...

Great job either way....Your pictures are always GREAT!!

Kim
04-29-2008, 12:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Kim,

And I can understand you liking the darker version of that one photo. It does have some charm to it. I should try a version 1/2 way between and see how it looks.

I haven't really posted anything on any fishing board since that incident.I just have a bad taste knowing that he'll probably read it and enjoy my photographs for free
I'll probably make a nice collection of macro's and close-ups, and post them all at once. Pointing out that editing is part of the process
04-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice shots Stu. I can understand what some people have said re the marmot shots. It would be nice to see some closer in and everything else out of focus. But it's also good to see some shots of them in their habitat like the ones in your post. Hope you are feeling better.

Paul
04-29-2008, 02:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Paul,

I feel 90% better at the moment

I'll work on those marmot photographs in the next day or so again.

I bought my laptop, so I could edit while on the road. But it's looking like I won't be able to trust it's screen, so I guess that it's more of a communication tool and very expensive storage device
Oh well, that just means that I won't have to work as hard on the road