Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
K10D with manual zoom and some action shots.. A mistake ?
Lens: SMC-M 35-70mm f2.8-3.5 Camera: K10D 
Posted By: manntax, 05-11-2014, 01:55 PM

I took my K10D today and went to a park with my son to try some action shots with manual lens. I also took a long zoom but ended up using only the short one SMC-M 35-70mm f2.8- 3.5 zoom . Here are selection of shots from today's series ...
They were shot at f4 - 4.5 and ISO 200 to keep the shutter at 1/320s and all had touch of post-processing - usual curves, to bring the exposure and white balance to a satisfactory level.
I think old K10D and manual glass did nicely altough I missed several situations and some were out of focus - still from 55 shots I have 20+ keepers so I called it a win - but let me know what you think

1)

2)

here are few shots in burst mode with some panning - old good K10D managed to get 3 frames
And yes - he was solving a Rubik's Cubewhile spinning around me :P
3) #1

4) #2

5) #3

6)

>>-manntax-->

Last edited by manntax; 05-11-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Views: 791
05-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Great panning action, and I really like the last one of him jumping over the stick. Isn't it satisfying to know that that perfect focus is all you?

Now, I think you need to have a talk with your son about "distracted driving..."
05-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Great panning action, and I really like the last one of him jumping over the stick. Isn't it satisfying to know that that perfect focus is all you? Now, I think you need to have a talk with your son about "distracted driving..."
Thanks scratchpaddy ! I entirely agree about the focusing reliability - for sport/action shots there is nothing as good as good manual lens with not too long throw and good hand,. My skills are rusty but I am recently using my old manual primes and zooms more often.

>>-manntax-->
05-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It's not a mistake if the shots are in focus. These are good shots.

It's not a mistake even if the shots come out poorly, as long as you learn and improve. Wedding photography has to be done perfectly the first time. Your son skating ... I think he will do it a few more times

05-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am impressed, manual focus on a moving target is tough. I shoot with a K10 too, and had a heck of a time at some dog sled races this winter.
Nice shots!
05-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Remember "catch in focus". I do believe the K10D supports it.
05-11-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's not a mistake if the shots are in focus. These are good shots. It's not a mistake even if the shots come out poorly, as long as you learn and improve. Wedding photography has to be done perfectly the first time. Your son skating ... I think he will do it a few more times
QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
I am impressed, manual focus on a moving target is tough. I shoot with a K10 too, and had a heck of a time at some dog sled races this winter. Nice shots!
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Remember "catch in focus". I do believe the K10D supports it.
Thank you guys - these are very kind words indeed! I grew up on film and manual focus is what I used to - I did even 2-3 weddings with my manual Helios and Zenith 12XP ^^ and simple bounce flash - all manually set and exposed! But since the digital era and autofocus lenses my manual focusing skills have gone downwards so I wanted to train a bit with moving target since I do use manual lenses on both film and digital. And the K10D gave me this extra comfort of not wasting a roll - the instant feedback also helped - so I was ale to train a bit. Will continue that for sure - and with wide apertures of course since all above 4.5 - 5.6 has too much depth of field ( especially on digital ).

@Mistlefoot - unfortunately you don't have this comfort on K10D when using non-A manual lenses - this was shoot with SMC-M zoom so I had to rely only on my eye and quickly adjust the focus accordingly before I click - not click and adust the focus hoping that the camera will shot when there is 'something' in focus

>>-manntax-->