Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weed or flower???
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 04-27-2008, 09:07 PM

I always thought that Dandylions were this obnoxious weed... until they seed out then they were a work of art.. well after playing with my macro and some of them .... I do believe that I have changed my mind... How beautiful they truely are!!!!

What do you think???

Then because it is all the same color with some dark included I had to try B&W..Here you go!!!

Enjoy my Dandy!!!
Views: 4,423
04-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kim, I always thought they were weeds to until the other day when I took a macro of one. Now I say they are flowers
04-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One More Dandy!!

Here is one more Dandy for you all!!!

Are they intrgueing!!

04-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're great shots and well taken macros...but.... they are still weeds even if they look good up close.

Kim, you'll have to find another one of these lenses. At this rate you'll wear this one out!

04-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What's often called a weed may in fact be a valuable plant or flower.

Here's a few examples example your Dandelion there, has a bad rep. And yet when you read about it on this web site you'll see that it has several medical benefits.

I just had 2 cups of Stinging Nettle Tea yesterday, and it helped me feel better almost instantly.

I can't find a link, however the simple Blackberry (not the phone) is a weed in several wet North American communities, and yet it's vitamin content blows that of the Orange away.

As a result I never consider any natural plant as a weed until someones taken the time to research it and see if it's good for something
04-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Nice shots.

Definition of a weed is ; A plant that is in the wrong place i.e. your garden.

Stinging nettle can be eaten and tastes like spinach. Good source of iron, potassium, manganese and calcium along with vits A, C and D. Don't eat it after it start's to flower because it can irritate the urinary tract and NEVER give it to babies.

A tea made from blackberry leaves can stop diarrhea

Last edited by Damn Brit; 05-01-2008 at 06:07 PM.
04-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for liking my Dandy..

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Kim, I always thought they were weeds to until the other day when I took a macro of one. Now I say they are flowers
It is amazing isn't it Rosemary.. Just how pretty they are up close..

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
They're great shots and well taken macros...but.... they are still weeds even if they look good up close. Kim, you'll have to find another one of these lenses. At this rate you'll wear this one out!
I still agree they weeds but they atleast they are pretty weeds!!!! LOL I am glad you enjoyed them Peter.. thank you for kind words..

Hey now.. dont be jinxing me Peter by saying Im going to wear it out.. Hopefully it has a long life ahead of it..

Thanks Stu and Brit for adding the beauty of medicine to my purdy weed!!! so I guess its not all that bad huh?

04-29-2008, 05:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I still don't understand WHY it is a weed just because it germinates differently. The seed pod is even more beautiful than the flower.

What are you all going to do when they ban all chemical pesticides!!! I guess you'll have to get down on hands and knees and spend more time in the garden pulling instead of shooting.

Of course some will finally accept the d'lion.

Back on subject: Nice shots.
04-29-2008, 05:48 AM   #9
Ed in GA

My neighbor, who is a Horticulturist for the University of Georgia, tells me that a Rose can be a weed if it's growing where you don't want it.
04-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I still don't understand WHY it is a weed just because it germinates differently. The seed pod is even more beautiful than the flower.

What are you all going to do when they ban all chemical pesticides!!! I guess you'll have to get down on hands and knees and spend more time in the garden pulling instead of shooting.

My entire yard used to be covered with them. I certainly didn't think they were "pretty". Of course, I didn't own a super-duper Pentx SLR with a macro lens back then either. Come to think of it, I still don't own the macro lens.
04-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You don't need a macro to capture their beauty Tom

This was taken with a K-mount 55mm f1.8, before I started experimenting with macro photography.

I'm not that fond of it, however some of the thorn bush flower photographs from that day turned out nicely

Using the same lens. There was no cropping involved of course
04-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
Damn Brit

JC what do you mean by 'germinates differently'? Germination is germination.

Pesticides kill insects, herbicides kill plants/weeds whatever you want to call them. No need to use nasty chemicals. 20% solution of white vinegar in water with just a drop of dish soap should kill most things(the dish soap helps it stick to the leaves).. I work in a nursery so I give that info a lot. I also try to be as environmentally friendly as possible.

Young dandelion leaves can be used in salads although they are a little bitter.
Gary
04-30-2008, 01:39 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Nice weeds...I like them both....
04-30-2008, 04:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You know, I consider the european imported dandelions "weeds", and the native, american ones "flowers", because they are much prettier.

You've got a wonderful eye, Kim!
04-30-2008, 05:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What are you all going to do when they ban all chemical pesticides!!!
I'll cheer that someone finally got something right.

A lawn is an artificial monoculture, and not a very interesting one at that. Now that I have bought into two lawns I need to figure out a practical plan of action besides kneeling in it all day taking photos.

Great shooting mtnbearhug!