Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Holly River SP
Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Hacker Valley, WV 
Posted By: TonyTurley, 05-13-2014, 01:05 PM

My wife and I went for an overnight retreat to Holly River State Park in north-central WV. A remote park in a sparsely inhabited part of the state, it is oddly the best maintained of any of our state parks I have visited. Serene and mountainous, with several cold water trout streams running through it and many miles of challenging trails, it is definitely worth the out of the way drive. My wife agreed to go with me on a walk up to one of its numerous waterfalls. I usually walk a lot farther when I go out, but the several mile round trip up and back down the mountain was about the limit for her. All of the pics except the wide angle view of the falls were with the K-30 and 55-300 WR; the wide angle view is with the Vivitar S1 19-35mm set at 19mm.

The flora was about 2 weeks behind where I live.

Interesting and diverse habitat.

A secluded mountain meadow. In the distance behind the meadow you can see the remains of an old homestead.

This ancient homestead would have been impossible to reach by anything other than foot or horseback. Beautiful location, but far off the beaten path.

Umbrella Magnolia (Magnolia tripetala) blooming all over. Cucumber Magnolia (Magnolia accuminata) was also growing heavily in the area, as seen in the background.

My wife using my Sony NEX-5R to get a close-up shot of an Umbrella Magnolia bloom.

Tecumseh Falls is near the peak of a small mountain. It looks more impressive in brochure photos. However, one must cross the creek below the falls many times to reach the peak, and if the falls are moving enough to be impressive, then one would get quite wet reaching the falls.

My wife hamming it up under the falls.

Striped Maple (Acer pennsylvanicum) does not grow in my part of the state.

More wildflowers. A pretty healthy variety was growing all over.

Views: 672