Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some roses
Lens: Pentax FA 100mm/2.8 Macro Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: My Garden 
Posted By: Susinok, 05-14-2014, 06:42 PM

Here is the magenta rose I was talking about. It's an unknown gallica rose found in a Texas graveyard. It's color is a vibrant and dark magenta. It's just on the edge of being over-saturated but I decided to leave as-is because that is it's true color. It GLOWS on an overcast day like a few days ago when I took this picture.

The next two are of New Dawn, classified as a rambler. The plant is huge, over 15 feet wide and 6 feet tall. It's the most weather resistant rose I have in the garden. Nothing phases it. Disease resistant (actually disease free for me), cold hardy and heat tolerant.

And it's buds:

Views: 850
05-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Number 3 looks a bit under-exposed. I like that magenta rose. I imagine that baby really DOES glow in some sunlight.

What are you using for processing/editing software, Susan?
05-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well focused shots in this series.
05-16-2014, 03:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gjtoth Quote
Number 3 looks a bit under-exposed. I like that magenta rose. I imagine that baby really DOES glow in some sunlight.

What are you using for processing/editing software, Susan?
I'm using Lightroom. The pictures were taken on a cloudy day. The light was bright but overcast. No# 3 was odd. Not sure why there was so little contrast in that picture.

05-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #5
Closed Account

Nice photos of flowers !
I like the 2nd one best !
05-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cloudy and bright is a good time to shoot flowers. I like the color in the first one. You might try some sort of reflector (white or light gray) to bounce some light onto the bottom of the flower. You could also try the Graduated Filter tool to lighten the bottom of the image. The second one is very nice.
05-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will practice working with reflectors. I have some large pieces of white foam core board I could use for that purpose.

05-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Susan - some lovely delicate photos of these delicate beauties. I will agree that cloudy damp days are best for most wildflower photos. When "out on the trail," I usually carry some scrap paper to use for reflectors (also handy for scribbling any notes). Fits in the pocket and doesn't cost a thing... And it's easy to just fold it a bit and prop it up on some nearby plant.
05-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Susan - some lovely delicate photos of these delicate beauties. I will agree that cloudy damp days are best for most wildflower photos. When "out on the trail," I usually carry some scrap paper to use for reflectors (also handy for scribbling any notes). Fits in the pocket and doesn't cost a thing... And it's easy to just fold it a bit and prop it up on some nearby plant.
Good idea. I'd have to use a notebook so that it doesn't get blown away to the next county, but I have lots of those. Maybe a sketchbook even.

And thank you!
05-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice shots. My favorite is the second one. I've never seen that rose before.
05-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The second rose is New Dawn. It is the first plant ever to receive a US patent. It's a huge rambling shurb that has very glossy dark green leaves. It's VERY thorny. It is also the most cold resistant and disease resistant rose I have.

This is an old picture of the entire shrub, probably taken with my point and shoot Cybershot, but gives you some idea of scale. The top of the shrub comes just under the eves of the house.

05-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
The second rose is New Dawn. It is the first plant ever to receive a US patent. It's a huge rambling shurb that has very glossy dark green leaves. It's VERY thorny. It is also the most cold resistant and disease resistant rose I have.

This is an old picture of the entire shrub, probably taken with my point and shoot Cybershot, but gives you some idea of scale. The top of the shrub comes just under the eves of the house.
Beautiful plant - it must smell good!