Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Owns a Pentax because he doesn't know any better....
Posted By: Peter Zack, 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM

Had an interesting afternoon and evening. There was a seminar here today that was hosted by the PPOC Atlantic. (Pro Photogs of Canada). Very cool way to spent 9 hours. Seminars on your personal vision and style and 4 hours of portrait/studio shooting tips and techniques.

So we all have our cameras in the studio and the Pro is showing us various lighting equipment, the uses and setups. So during the open discussion half way through the session the pro discusses gear and points out my Pentax (along the lines of I don't care what you shoot as long as you understand the gear and can express your personal style with it). So anyway the Pentax is pointed out and somebody from the back of the room says:

"because he doesn't know any better"

Yeah I was the only Pentax in the room full of Nikons and Canons. The Pro ignored the wise ass and continued on. After awhile we all get a chance with the model to take 3 shots with our cameras, using the lighting setups.

So we each pick one image and the shots are handed over to the assistant to be reviewed in front of everyone for technique and style.

The Pentax guy who doesn't know any better is thinking, I don't want to mess the shot up. At least put in a respectable shot. What has Chris been teaching on all these threads...

We take a break for a bite to eat and then sit down to go over the shots. One by one they are critiqued and advice is given. I don't see my shot. Seems like they have all been done.

Then the Pro says: What does everyone think of this shot. A couple of people say it's pretty good. The Pro: This one I liked the best of all those taken tonight. I might have added a touch more rim light but the shadows are well controlled and the shooting angle is unique from the rest. A very nice image....

I tried a low angle which can be risky and make a person look fat.

The loud mouth with the D300 was very quiet after that. Don't you just love it when things go right?

K10D DA16-45 f4

Last edited by Peter Zack; 04-28-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Views: 4,574
04-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Classic pwnage by a true pro.

Well done, Peter! Way to show canikonists how it's done!
04-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Good for you Peter, You just proved that Pentax is as good as the rest

Oh, by the way. Nice pic
04-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, Peter. It is the work that matters rather than the cost of the gears.

I had been criticised many times for choosing the angle you have adopted. It widens the face and body, exposing the neck creases with protruding shoulder.

But your shadow helps balancing that out, bringing out the sophistication and depth to the image.

Sometimes it is all about what works rather than criteria boxes to tick

04-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

nice work Peter! you show 'em
04-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Way to go, Peter. And very nice shot, too
04-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #7

Gotta love the irony of the non traditional angle from the non traditional Pentax shooter...while the Canikons all shot in the safe predictable angle/shot

Great Job

04-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice story with a moral at the end for sure - it's not the hammer.... the carpenter makes the difference. Hopefully you were able to keep from thumping your chest and adjusting your Penatx Belt Buckle!

Great job Peter - here's hoping you have a career change soon (if that is what you want that)
04-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Very very nice Peter! But then we would expect nothing less from you!
04-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Very very nice Peter! But then we would expect nothing less from you!
What everyone else has already said. Well done!

It goes to prove that it isn't all about the hardware, but the eye behind.
04-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Way to go Peter!

You have some good catchlights on the eyes. But watch out for the nose shadow.
04-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Nice portrait Peter! Just think how amazing it would have looked had you been smart enough to use a Nikon!

Score one for the good guys!
04-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well done Peter and you are a far better man than I. I probably would've replied with an insult in any number of languages, most of them having to do with his mother and her assortment of male friends, and then screwed up the shot.
04-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Revenge is a dish best served cold . . .

Way to go, Peter. You managed to light her beautiful skin AND get detail into the black of her lace shawl - lot of photons sucked up there. She is lovely and you captured it.

I'm sure you went with your instinct and vision on this non-traditional shot and not all the rules of conformity - take a risk if it is your vision ->

Like any good Pentaxian!
04-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Great shot Peter

I don't have much to do with it if that Chris person is myself that you mentioned

I just like people to know it's ok to break rules, because there shouldn't be any rules hindering your vision.

I get your Nikon/Canon guy speak a lot, well, daily to be exact Last week an out of town pro (who is really really good) was talking about how he is shooting modeling stuff and showed some of his work, which was of very high caliber. He kept saying how awesome his Canon gear was, how it's the best ever, how nothing else can touch it with a ten foot pole and so I showed him some of my modeling stuff. He was impressed with the IQ and asked what Canon I shot with. I pulled a K20D off the shelf and I go, "the best one, of course!" His looked changed and decided to talk about how pro's don't shoot Pentax, etc, etc. He felt really really bad on the inside I think