Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Portaging.. all part of the tripping experience
Lens: unkown lens Camera: Optio 90 WR Photo Location: Algonquin Park 
Posted By: normhead, 05-19-2014, 10:34 AM

Packed and ready to load the boats at a campsite. Tripper Dawg supervises, to make sure everything is done correctly.

The a bit of wilderness paddling.

Arriving at a portage.

Changing from wet shoes to drier boots.

A walk in the woods, with 50-70 pounds of gear and food.

Trying to get out of the wind for lunch on the portage trail.

Resting the boat on a convenient broken off tree. Any chance for a break from the carrying part is good.

Or a maybe a bent over tree will do.

Walking back for another load.

Crossing a marsh with a convenient board walk.

The end of the portage. There at last, there at last, thank god almighty we're there at last. This portage was close to 2.4 km, or 1.5 miles.

Last edited by normhead; 05-19-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Views: 709
05-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful canoe! 2.4 kms is one heck of a hike with a canoe on your shoulders, how bad are the elevation changes? I only see one canoe, how did you take the first shot?
05-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Beautiful canoe! 2.4 kms is one heck of a hike with a canoe on your shoulders, how bad are the elevation changes? I only see one canoe, how did you take the first shot?
Both these boats are ultra lights, both over 17 feet, one 54 pounds, the other 42 pounds.

The elevation changes on the route we took this year we're absolutely brutal. I'm gassing at least 2 of them were 400-600 feet of climbing. Our party was two boats, so I took that from the second canoe after the first had arrived at the portage. Our two canoes look similar, but the one Chris is carrying is different from the one on the bent tree. You can tell the difference up close.
I'll add this images with all most of our gear and the boats to the above series.
05-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm really impressed, Norm! Of course with the hike, but also with what the Optio is able to deliver! Great series Norm.

05-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I'm really impressed, Norm! Of course with the hike, but also with what the Optio is able to deliver! Great series Norm.
In good light the Optio is an amazing camera. Waterproof, shockproof, and fits in my pocket. Always handy, and takes a beating. These days after it's fallen out of my pocket onto the rocks or lake, i don't even bat an eyelash. Just pick it up and keep shooting.

I'd upgrade tot he current WG-4 with the GPS unit built in, but this old 90WR isn't really giving me any reason to want to upgrade.

Last edited by normhead; 05-19-2014 at 11:49 AM.
05-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love these shots - for themselves and for the memories they invoke of (MUCH) younger days. I couldn't do such a thing today but it looks very much as it did 30 years ago.

We tripped three-to-a-canoe so we could portage in one pass.
05-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I love these shots - for themselves and for the memories they invoke of (MUCH) younger days. I couldn't do such a thing today but it looks very much as it did 30 years ago.

We tripped three-to-a-canoe so we could portage in one pass.
We start our trip with 20 pounds of dog food also carry 25 pounds of camera gear and that's pretty much an extra trip right there, so a single trip portage is out of the question. Especially in the spring when we have to carry so much clothing. But this summer we may get down to a single carry again. We trip two people and two dogs to a canoe. We don't have to carry the dogs, but, there isn't room for third person.

05-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We start our trip with 20 pounds of dog food also carry 25 pounds of camera gear and that's pretty much an extra trip right there
Hah hah!! Didn't think about that!!

No dogs and 2 self-contained disposable film cameras each. Anyway, these are really nice shots to come from a W90. I've always thought some of the Optio's never got enough love.
05-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hah hah!! Didn't think about that!!

No dogs and 2 self-contained disposable film cameras each. Anyway, these are really nice shots to come from a W90. I've always thought some of the Optio's never got enough love.
No dogs? Who would bring the tennis ball back when I throw it off into the bush?
05-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow that's a hell of a workout for you guys. Nice documentary series.
05-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow that's a hell of a workout for you guys. Nice documentary series.
Ya, we're still recovering.
05-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
we're still recovering

Well, if nothing else you've got great insight into those old coureurs de bois--physically, being a voyageur was kind of like being a modern day running back in the NFL--for a few years you were ten-feet-tall-and-bullet-proof, but by age 30 or so injuries (specifically hernias) had crippled you for life. (Of course, in the 18th Century there were lots of ways for life to suck.)

At any rate, a great set...

05-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Well, if nothing else you've got great insight into those old coureurs de bois--physically, being a voyageur was kind of like being a modern day running back in the NFL--for a few years you were ten-feet-tall-and-bullet-proof, but by age 30 or so injuries (specifically hernias) had crippled you for life. (Of course, in the 18th Century there were lots of ways for life to suck.)

At any rate, a great set...

Thanks...
Actually, I think those guys carried a lot more weight than we do.