Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread

Shoot a Squirrel! Donate $100 to Pentax Forums!
Posted By: Rupert, 05-22-2014, 10:00 AM

Advance Notice:
June 1st begins the WSSA (Worldwide Squirrel Shooters Association) annual squirrel shoot and membership drive.
We call this a "SQUIRREL FRENZY" !

Over at Flickr we Pentaxians have a joint drive with the Flickr Nikon Forum every year, and this year we are sort of thin on members at our Pentax site and need some help from fellow Pentaxians. YOU CAN HELP!

It's simple, you just have to post a squirrel shot of a living squirrel...not much else to it. You become a member (it's all free!) and get your shot posted in the WSSA 2014 Gallery at Flickr, currently empty and waiting for YOUR shots.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/wssa/

The Nikonians are sure to outdo us this year, unless we can get some help from PF shooters, and Otis is begging for your help! He just hates it when Pentaxians get run over like squirrels on a busy road!

This link will give you a view of some of our past participant shots, and on P.5 a list of current members....also a guide to the "rules" which are simple.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/festussquirrel/page1/

Here is a shot from Skip2molou she intends to post in the coming Squirrel Frenzy on June 1st to get it started off.....

There are some great squirrel shooters here, PLEASE HELP US OUT, and if we can get 50 different shooters from Pentax Forums to post in the FRENZY Otis has agreed to donate $100. to this Forum for the benefit of this site.

You can post a new shot, an old shot, from a Pentax camera or if you are a member here, from any camera.

Guidelines will be posted (HERE) at midnight on June 1st, and the FRENZY will start at that time, and last for the following three days. Your shots can be posted in the WSSA thread started here at midnight.

Happy squirrel shooting and many thanks to all who help from Otis! He loves you guys! Get out and shoot a squirrel, there is plenty of time! Otis reminds that if you bring peanuts, they will readily pose for you!

Best Regards
Rupert #125 PX - Pentax Squirrel Ambassador to the WSSA
Views: 7,695
05-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #61
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liz_in_Calgary Quote
I am so excited, my membership was accepted! Thanks Rupert!

Liz in Calgary
Thank Otis, he personally hit the "Accept" button at Flickr! He said he thinks you are cute...wants to come visit you....It's none of my business, but I would pass on his offer if I were you......not that Otis is a bad squirrel, but he does have some funny ways.....I won't reveal here!

Regards!

05-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Liz_in_Calgary Quote
I am so excited, my membership was accepted! Thanks Rupert!

Liz in Calgary
Now I am even more confused about all this. I thought Rupert said that the photos should be posted here and no flikr membership was required....?

I figured out a way to post my favorite squirrel photo here - instead of using my web server which I don't want any connection to social media sites, I was going to upload the one pic to here at PF as an attachment then post it here.

I thought this would be fun to participate in, but don't want anything to do with or connection with flikr.

My other question, if in fact I can just post a pic here on June 1st - are you going to start a new thread just for the entries just after midnight? If so, will it be in the "post your photos" section?
05-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Now I am even more confused about all this. I thought Rupert said that the photos should be posted here and no flikr membership was required....?

I figured out a way to post my favorite squirrel photo here - instead of using my web server which I don't want any connection to social media sites, I was going to upload the one pic to here at PF as an attachment then post it here.

I thought this would be fun to participate in, but don't want anything to do with or connection with flikr.

My other question, if in fact I can just post a pic here on June 1st - are you going to start a new thread just for the entries just after midnight? If so, will it be in the "post your photos" section?
Stan...Let me see if I can address your questions and any that others may have.

Liz joined this site https://www.flickr.com/groups/wssa/ at Flickr and is a member there now, along with several others that have chosen to join the site. She is not yet a member of WSSA until the Frenzy starts and she posts her shot/shots and she can do this either there or here at PF...or on the Nikonian Flickr site.......it is a Joint Frenzy, as always. She could also post her entry on the Flickr Pentaxian site if she chose to join there.

You DO NOT have to join Flickr to become a WSSA Member! Just post your shot or shots here for approval and admission to WSSA.

Shots posted at any of the sites participating in the Frenzy will be copied by various methods and posted here https://www.flickr.com/groups/wssa/ along with the new Membership number and posting name of the shooter.This will give everyone a chance to view all the handsome squirrels in one locatiion, see their Member Number, and the member Number and shots of others.

This https://www.flickr.com/groups/wssa/ is not a Social Site, it is about squirrels and shooters in the Frenzy and it is ONLY about squirrels and squirrel shooting. It is MUCH LESS a Social Site than the Pentax Forums you currently belong to. As for your photo posted here, YES, it will be copied and posted along with the others at the WSSA Flickr site. This has never been a problem in any past Frenzy, and we have over 400 members.......after all, they are just squirrels, no one has ever entered a Mona Lisa!

Here is a little history of the WSSA
....it was originally started in 2004, and the originator passed away several years later. I ran across a Frenzy in progress on the Nikon Flickr Forum several years ago, and asked the new leader (Head Honcho) if I could participate with my Pentax. He agreed and made me an Official Pentax Ambassador of the WSSA. I set out to get other Pentaxians involved .....and several years later...here we are!

This is the original site set up by the founder...
The Worldwide Squirrel Shooters Association

Here is a list of current members....those with a PX following their number are Pentax shooters...and we hope to add more at this Frenzy! We hope you are one of them!
https://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=dlgj89hu0ue6u#6456746348

This is really very simple.....the opening of the Frenzy will be right here on Post Your Photos at Midnight June 1st....Sat Night. and the information will all be there...all we will need is those handsome squirrel shots!

Hope this has answered your questions, if not PM me, I will be happy to assist further!

Best Regards!
Rupert #125 PX.......Old squirrel shooter and servant to the WSSA!
05-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How many squirrel photographs do you want Rupert?

05-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I pushed the button to join WSSA. Waiting on reply.
05-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You do not have to join the group at Flickr to enter this Frenzy, just post your shot here on the thread that will start on June 1st. (You are most welcome to join if you wish!) * You do have to allow your entry photo to be copied and posted at the WSSA Flickr site, where you will be awarded your WSSA Member Number. * After your entry photo post.....You can come back and post as many squirrel shots as you desire, so if you have several shots, don't worry, you can post all you like after your initial entry shot!
Since I am already on Fliker I see no problem with that. I didn't know WSSA group existed. This sounds like fun. I am in. I am always happy to help separate $ from the squirrels. I will wait to get my WSSA # from the frenzy. I have one ready to go. Just waiting on the thread to open.
05-31-2014, 10:42 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I pushed the button to join WSSA. Waiting on reply.
me too...

---------- Post added 2014-06-01 at 01:48 ----------

My "Short-tailed" squirrel submitted...

05-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Weevil! Post it in the Official Thread here on the front page for submission!

Thanks!
Rupert # 125PX
06-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ok, I removed it...
where should I post it ?
here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/wssa/discuss/72157644898452686/ ??
06-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Chip, Rupert created the thread in the link below for posting your photo for WSSA:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/264609-nature-officia...post-here.html
06-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks - missed it!!
06-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome! I though he would post the link here but I didn't see it earlier.
06-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #73
Site Supporter

Squirrels?

Seems to be something squirrelly going on.
06-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I posted the correct thread link shooz. You need to post your photo/s there.