Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Lens Sample; Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro
Posted By: rbefly, 05-24-2014, 07:34 AM

As mentioned on another thread, this Forum would benefit from macro-specific lens (or other closeup devices) samples. Here I've posted five from the 'Bokina', the near-legendary Vivitar Series 1. If you're interested, this is a link to 44 Bokina photos that are truly great;
Vivitar Series 1 90mm 1:2.5 VMC Macro Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com
Here, I've tried to show and explain some of the various qualities this lens brings to macro. There are many catch-words for bad bokeh like nervous, jagged, harsh, distracting or busy. For the next few minutes, you won't need them.
A disclaimer; Mine were all taken with the Pentax K10D (10Mp CCD), but a modern CMOS sensor would have somewhat different rendering and saturation. Most were tripod-mounted, at the native 1:2 ratio. I do have the 1:1 adaptor but rarely use it. Aperture is unrecorded but usually f/2.5-f/5.6.
1) The Bokina can have a surreal edge, if used in dramatic-lighting situations. These are the true colors, not altered in PP. This plant is partly-lit by shafts of direct sunlight, but it's broken up by many shadows. Note the sharply-drawn (in-focus) edges that softly blend into OOF areas and the rendering of the water-drop highlights.
2) Texture! Here's a quality many praise in macro and the Bokina delivers nicely, with crisp in-focus edges and shadowing/modeling. Check out the wash/blur blending of bokeh between the colors and focus-depths; You want 'Buttery' or 'Creamy'? Here's my humble entrant.
3) B+W Pano Macro. The sharply-defined edges, shadowing and modeling, smooth textures are all here. But a bonus, check out the gray-to-black transitions on the dark leaf, left side. And the tiny spaceship (bokeh effect) leaving the photo, upper right side. It even has a sonic wake!
4) More dairy-product descriptions come to mind, the in-focus 'pop' and isolation without appearing too hard or crisp, and absolutely perfect gradiation of color blur/wash to OOF is typical of the Viv, and has made me a better photographer than I really am.
5) A lighter rendition here, the glowing highlights, delicate textures and soft OOF orbs are good for this type subject.
Well, hope I didn't overdo the praise, there are many fine macro primes, both old and new. I believe the Bokina is one of them.
JMO,
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 1,647
05-24-2014, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are some good shots. Really like the third one.
05-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for the kind comments, Bluestringer!
I like # 3 also, it shows enough contrast and texture for B + W, not all macro shots do.
Hope we see more 'Macro Lens Samples' threads here, it's great to be able to compare photos taken with the various lenses (old and new) available.
Ron
05-25-2014, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wonderful, Ron.