Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Ready to go.
Lens: Tamorn 90 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Track and Tower 
Posted By: normhead, 05-26-2014, 08:16 AM

I have to pack my stuff the night before... if I leave it until the morning I won't get out the door until 10 o'clock. This day we were on the road at 7:45. I'm usually in bed at 7:45. Nothing like MikeSF or Daacon (for getting up early) of course but, hey, you can only do what you can do.

If I was hiking with friends and didn't want to take time for lens changes, it would have been the DA 18-135 on a K-5 around my neck and the K-3 with the 60-250 in the holster.

Pictures from the walk Track and Tower Trail

Last edited by normhead; 05-26-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Views: 1,577
05-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is hilarious...though the OTMPC tourist board might want to have a word with you regarding the bug netting/Ultrathon thing.
05-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, Norm - looks like you're embarking on a military expedition. Carry on, soldier.

Jer
05-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
That is hilarious...though the OTMPC tourist board might want to have a word with you regarding the bug netting/Ultrathon thing.
When you are surrounded by vicious biting bugs... no one cares what the OTMPC thinks. Or as one guy coming up to the park from somewhere south of the border once said. "There's a milion differnt kinds of bugs in Onatario, and they all want to suck your blood."

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow, Norm - looks like you're embarking on a military expedition. Carry on, soldier.

Jer
There's military expeditions that require less planning than getting me out the door in the morning.

05-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm, If I had to carry all that gear I wouldn't be ready even at 10 o'clock. (That's why I don't carry all that gear)
05-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Norm, If I had to carry all that gear I wouldn't be ready even at 10 o'clock. (That's why I don't carry all that gear)
You don't have a slave driver like Tess making you work out all the time. It's like having a personal trainer living in your house. She can find you when you're not even at the gym. Stay here for a couple weeks, she'll whip you into shape.
05-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a great one:-)

05-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Closed Account

You look like a soldier with all that equipment !
05-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I got a sore back just looking at the photo. Too funny Norm! JIM
05-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
That's a great one:-)
Thanks volley

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
You look like a soldier with all that equipment !
A soldier in the army of good photography...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I got a sore back just looking at the photo. Too funny Norm! JIM
It's the shoulders that get you, where the carry straps put all that weight. I didn't take out the 60-250 even once. 2 pounds carried for 5 miles, hoping for some wildlife.
05-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very well put together shot which tells the whole story!
05-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very well put together shot which tells the whole story!
There should be an images of me wolfing down Ibuprofen when I got home, if i was going to tell the whole story.
08-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

cant. stop. laughing!
08-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
didn't want to take time for lens changes
This line from Normhead....sums me up completely when I go on an outdoor jaunt...either by foot or car.

I don't want to change lenses on the trail or in the car. I figure out before which pix I want and if walking take 2 camera bodies.....in the car...three bodies. They're all lensed up and ready to go. Depending on what I see and want to photograph...I have....more or less....the right lens/body combo. Or, at least close enough.
08-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What? and miss the shot of the century?

I only took five lenses... what's the problem? I guess I could take 5 lenses on 5 bodies, but the last one would have to go on a film body. All those bodies would be clunking against each other all the time.... no, that's not gong to work... I'd rather go to a Q and have a full line of lenses I can carry. Just smaller lenses. I have 8mm-350mm covered, and macro... and I really should bring the A-400 so I'm already leaving one home. You know, if I don't take one, I'm going to miss the shot of the century. That doesn't mean I'll get the shot of the century if I have it with me. It doesn't work that way. The shot of the century only comes along when you don't have the right lens with you. Every photographer knows that. Only fate decides when you get your chance to get the shot of the century. I don't want to miss out because I didn't have the right lens available when my turn comes.

Think of all the images I would have missed that day, the only lens I didn't use was the 60-250 and you have to bring that on the odd chance, there's bears square dancing in the woods or something like that.. I tell you it's going to pay off some day.... some people buy lottery tickets, photographers buy and carry lenses they probably won't need, both on the odd chance, some day we'll win big. You clearly just don't understand the process.

After all what's better for your stamina, carrying lottery tickets, or lugging lenses? Think of it this way. I don't need a gym membership.

QuoteQuote:
cant. stop. laughing!
On the other hand, you getting up at 4, to get to some beach or the bridge, makes me cry... somehow this isn't a fair exchange...

Last edited by normhead; 08-08-2014 at 10:53 PM.