Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Painting with light
Posted By: cputeq, 04-30-2008, 08:09 PM

The other (very early) morning I noticed my living room looked sorta neato with the entertainment center lights shining and making patterns.

I wanted to get the entire picture using natural light and not use HDR, but the TV/cabinet and above the center were too dark.

Then I remembered my daughter had run my flashlight batteries very low, but it still came on.

During the 25 second exposure, I painted the dark areas with the flash light, hoping to bring out subtle details in the dark areas without ruining the "mood"

This picture is the final result, so any CnC is welcome
It works best viewing it at full resolution and/or on a monitor with the desktop color set to black. The white background of web pages, etc. seems to drown out the details pretty easily, at least to my eyes.

My coworkers seem to like it, and I was actually asked to photograph my friend's car.
Yay!

Views: 1,586
05-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
nice one....have not done painting with light for quite some time now...well seeing this inspired me to do it soon...thanks for sharing
05-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like this a lot! You have handled the darkest parts well along the light!
05-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments! I rather enjoyed this experiment, and it's got me thinking of other things to try. I've never painted with light before, so it's all new to me

05-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Nice mood captured.