Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Paris! Gargoyles! (7 photos)
Lens: Pentax 18-135 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Paris, France 
Posted By: sealonsf, 05-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Just a few from Paris.

1. Notre Dame gargoyles.

7. And the final one, I made this look like an old photograph. The rain clouds covered the top which made the Eiffel Tower look unfinished.

Hope you enjoyed seeing these. I love Paris!
Views: 729
05-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
3 and 7 are classic. Well done.
05-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
3 and 7 are classic. Well done.
Thanks!
05-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing. I have always wondered about why gargoyles were built on cathedrals. I suppose it had something to do with chasing off Satan? But they are remarkable, and your photos captured them very well.

05-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Highly reminiscent of Brassai's photos, though he mostly worked at night on Notre Dame. IIRC, many of the carvings were a comparatively recent addition, and of course some of them aren't used as water spouts either, so they're not strictly gargoyles, at least in the accepted sense. That aside, well done!
05-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Highly reminiscent of Brassai's photos, though he mostly worked at night on Notre Dame. IIRC, many of the carvings were a comparatively recent addition, and of course some of them aren't used as water spouts either, so they're not strictly gargoyles, at least in the accepted sense. That aside, well done!
That's true that they are not all true gargoyles, hadn't thought of that. But you can see from #5 photo that many were doing their job that day.

---------- Post added 05-28-2014 at 01:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Thanks for sharing. I have always wondered about why gargoyles were built on cathedrals. I suppose it had something to do with chasing off Satan? But they are remarkable, and your photos captured them very well.
They serve two purposes, as drainage and to scare evil spirits away.
05-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
No3 is the winner in my book, almost an iconic view of the Paris skyline that I've not seen before, well done.

05-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
No3 is the winner in my book, almost an iconic view of the Paris skyline that I've not seen before, well done.
Thank you! I just love it when it rains with my trusty weatherproof Pentax. I didn't have to worry about keeping my camera out of the rain for any of these shots.