Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bird photo shooting
Posted By: gawan, 05-01-2008, 01:17 PM

A long walk resulted a bunch of bird pictures, here are some, I regret that I don't know their names in English:

Could not choose between these two females:

Last edited by gawan; 05-01-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
Views: 2,791
05-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice bird shots Georg, The first one looks like our oystercatcher in north america with a little more black. Those ducks are cool, I've never seen those before I enjoy bird pictures, especially from other parts of the globe.
05-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #3

The ducks are called Tufted Ducks (Aythya Fuligula) in the UK, you have the male and the female (in their winter plumage). Nice captures, they're eyes are often difficult to get just right and you've done really well.
05-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

The first one is an Eurasian Oystercatcher. Did you get a chanse to read the ring? Ringers are normally very interested in getting reports about where birds are observed. One of the best to send you information back is the Finnish ringing central and it's not unlikely that the bird has a finnish ring.

The other birds are called Tufted Duck.

Please tell us what lens you used. From what I can see the pictures are excellent and I like the choice of shutter speed so that you get a bit of motion blur when the female one scratches her cheek.

A great way to find names in other languages are to use wikipedia. Go to your language variant and search for the local name. In your case fi.wikipedia.org (search for Meriharakka). Then on the left side go to English, Svenska, Cymraeg or whatever you want and is available.

05-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Nice bird shots Georg, The first one looks like our oystercatcher in north america with a little more black. Those ducks are cool, I've never seen those before I enjoy bird pictures, especially from other parts of the globe.
Thank you, borno! Same here - I have enjoyed many bird pictures here from species I dont know first hand, like the blue heron.

QuoteOriginally posted by chirpy Quote
The ducks are called Tufted Ducks (Aythya Fuligula) in the UK, you have the male and the female (in their winter plumage). Nice captures, they're eyes are often difficult to get just right and you've done really well.
Thanks chirpy, for the names. I had to take quite a few of these to get something to choose from

QuoteOriginally posted by SM4RPQ Quote
The first one is an Eurasian Oystercatcher. Did you get a chanse to read the ring? Ringers are normally very interested in getting reports about where birds are observed. One of the best to send you information back is the Finnish ringing central and it's not unlikely that the bird has a finnish ring.

The other birds are called Tufted Duck.

Please tell us what lens you used. From what I can see the pictures are excellent and I like the choice of shutter speed so that you get a bit of motion blur when the female one scratches her cheek.

A great way to find names in other languages are to use wikipedia. Go to your language variant and search for the local name. In your case fi.wikipedia.org (search for Meriharakka). Then on the left side go to English, Svenska, Cymraeg or whatever you want and is available.
Hej, thanks! I thought of going to wikipedia, but was lazy, and now you have done the work for me! I have chased this Oystercatcher for a while, as he/she is quite shy and I don't have a proper tele to reach very far.

No, I did not have a chance to read the ring, sorry. There is a small colony living in certain spots of Helsinki shores. I actually know only two places where they can be found.

All these are taken with my Tamron 18-250mm, at 250mm. I had to crop all of them heavily, but it does show how good this lens is, doesn't it, even cropped to half!
05-02-2008, 04:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Beautiful shots Georg, great detail.
05-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great captures Georg and I agree with Chirpy, you got the eyes of the ducks nicely too.

Paul

05-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Beautiful shots Georg, great detail.
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Great captures Georg and I agree with Chirpy, you got the eyes of the ducks nicely too.

Paul
Paul, Scott, thank you for the comments!