Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Summer Trail Riding Season Has Begun!
Lens: DA 18-55 Camera: K-r Photo Location: Outside of Buena Vista, CO 
Posted By: Aerlind, 05-29-2014, 01:53 PM

Some of you may have read my "introduction" posts where I mention I'm a trail rider. As in I take my horse up trails only pretty in-shape people hike. Often we don't even see anyone else. And I say "we" because on these trails, it's always better to have a buddy.

The summer season started for us a couple of weeks ago. My friend/"buddy" has a place between Salida and Buena Vista, CO, so we often go there and ride the Collegiate Peaks area (for those familiar). For those unfamiliar, it's mountainous southern Colorado. We had 2 days of rides planned, which had to be tweaked because the horse I usually ride (Sky) came up limping on day 1 out of the pasture. We had 3 horses with us, so Sky stayed in the pasture (with pain meds!) and I rode her mother, Sierra. Sierra is 28 years old (about equivalent to 90ish in human years), has a heart murmur, and only one eye. And she did AWESOMELY! Ten miles each day, not too much elevation gain, but we were around 2000 feet higher than where the horses live.

Because I can only take one lens with me (have to have room in the packs for lunch, rain gear, water, and libations...), I went for my 18-55mm because it does the best with landscapes. I also had a polarizing filter on it.

On to the pictures! This first one is a shot of clouds sitting around Mt. Princeton from the morning of day one.

Day 1: Midland bike trail. This one is a "selfie"...set camera on sign post, set the shutter to self-timer, press the button, and ride 25ish feet away to your buddy. Sometimes these yield amusing results, but this one turned out well. (Most amusement comes from when we have to have the buddy hold the horse, you press the timer and run and jump on. I've got one from last year where my saddle is sliding off the side...) It's Mt. Princeton again in the background.

Kind of a pano of the mountains.

This is another classic trail rider picture: you have to get the horse's ears in the photo or you weren't really there on a horse! Sierra doesn't stand as still as Sky so I had to work a bit harder to get one with her ears.

Day 2: Browns Canyon Wilderness. No bikes! (Nothing against bikes, but it's always nice to have the trail to yourself. I'm sure all you mountain bikers out there agree.) This day was quite cloudy and gray and some smoke/haze was drifting in from the fires in CA, so basically it was a photographer's nightmare in terms of lighting. I tried. Very hard. Another mounted self-timer shot:

I played around a bit with the in-camera contrast filter. Just for fun. Made it "high contrast" and then underexposed the image a bit. I kind of like the result, even if it's not "natural". Left to right, these are Mt. Jones, Mt. White, and Mt. Antero.

Another like the one above, this time of Mt. Princeton.

At lunch we found some wildflowers, so were were playing with trying to get them and the mountains in the frame. I was slightly more successful than my friend, because I have a better camera (she has a point-and-shoot), but I also sat in a cactus trying to get this shot. That was not so good.

And finally, an unrelated shot that I took a few days later. It's of my mom riding, and it was one of those that I didn't quite plan but really liked the result:

Be prepared for more trail riding pictures as the summer progresses!
Views: 970
05-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful~I can't wait to see more.
I especially love 3 & 5.
05-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent set, look forward to seeing more of your rides.
05-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
very nice. I live in metro Denver and definitely do not get down to the collegiates often enough. I am impressed how well the horses are posed for the timer shots, my kids could learn some lessons there..nice shots all around.

05-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the Colorado high country which you captured very well. What fun you must have, do you have cell coverage up that way? Post some more of your next ride. Bob
05-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It's my favorite part of summer.

Bob, cell coverage depends on where we go. On these two rides we did because they weren't too far from the actual town of Buena Vista. As the summer goes on and we ride more west of 285, it's spotty at best. Some of the trail heads there are farther out from the town(s). Usually I don't even bring my cell with me. My buddy usually has hers. From a safety standpoint, if something happens, I'll be looking more for other hikers than cell coverage.
05-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series of your ride Hannah.

05-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice!

Maybe see you on the trails sometime! Although I'm one of those bike riders. I live on the other side of that range in Gunnison.
I love the Collegiate range and I've kayaked Brown's Canyon a bunch of times.
I agree about the benefits of having the trail to yourself!

I summited Mt. Harvard & Mt. Columbia last summer with a couple of friends, it was really nice!
I'd love to ski the Angel of Shavano some day too. I think I already missed that window this spring.
05-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
^^If you ever see a pair on a brown horse and a white horse, that's us. And up there, I don't have a problem with bikes, most of them in that area are REALLY polite and move off the trail quickly and give us lots of space (and we try to return the favor and pull off if it's safe for us to do so, so the bikes don't lose their momentum!). It's the people who bike closer to Denver (our suburban trails in Arvada...) that aren't as nice...

The closest I've been to a summit was a couple of years ago, we took (I think) Little Brown's Creek trail between Jones and White. We turned around at about 13,000 feet because it was a scree field and we were tired of walking our horses. We tried to see if we could do a loop around White with Brown's Creek trail and Little Brown's Creek trail, but it maps out to an 18+ mile ride with at least 5 miles above treeline. Hard on the horses, and not so good if thunderstorms roll in...and apparently it gets tricky and borderline impassable (by horse) around the back of White. We abandoned that ride and have moved on to exploring others.
05-31-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
NKK
Inactive Account

Great Pictures - really like them. Looking forward for some hiking, but i will have to settle with 2 legs