Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma
Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma 
Posted By: Susinok, 06-02-2014, 04:10 PM

The Metro Camera Club had a field trip at the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge near Lawton, OK. I grew up there and have stacks of film pictures of this place. I took a ton of pictures, so there will be more to come after these.

I'm not that confident in my landscapes, so any suggestions for improvement would be welcome. Though I gotta say, a good lens does sure make a difference.

Tamron 28-300

Tamron 28-300 Cropped a bit for composition

DA 15mm Limited

DA 15mm Limited

Views: 853
06-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Oddly enough, these beautiful vistas are not what I think of when I think of Oklahoma. I guess I keep thinking "Dust Bowl".
06-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lovely landscapes, and not my preconceived images of Oklahoma either. You are on the mountains, right?
06-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, guys!

Yes, the pictures were taken from the top of Mount Scott. The Wichita Mountains is one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world, and has eroded down to the bare bones. They used to be under water in the inland sea that engulfed most of the Midwest. The rounded rocks are water eroded. I'll have more pictures later on. This was the first batch I processed.

The rolling plains are west of here, and right now they are not very dusty, either. They are fairly green still from the mild spring we've enjoyed so far this year.

06-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
Thanks, guys!

Yes, the pictures were taken from the top of Mount Scott. The Wichita Mountains is one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world, and has eroded down to the bare bones. They used to be under water in the inland sea that engulfed most of the Midwest. The rounded rocks are water eroded. I'll have more pictures later on. This was the first batch I processed.

The rolling plains are west of here, and right now they are not very dusty, either. They are fairly green still from the mild spring we've enjoyed so far this year.
Did you run into a guy from Tulsa? I talked with a guy in my camera club and he told me he ran into some members of the Metro Camera club on Mt. Scott. Nice shots!!!
06-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rdharkins Quote
Did you run into a guy from Tulsa? I talked with a guy in my camera club and he told me he ran into some members of the Metro Camera club on Mt. Scott. Nice shots!!!
No, I didn't. I did see other photographers around not in our group though.
06-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots, great views too! Haven't been up in Okie land since me and Mrs Rupert went to Broken Bow a few years ago. Eastern Oklahoma is gorgeous, tall pines, beautiful lakes, just gorgeous! Need to go back for a visit, your shots reminded me!
I cover my Texas plates with mud when I cross the border...safer that way!

Best Regards!

06-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Beautiful pics. The exposure on those is absolutely perfect, in my eyes. I used to go to OKC frequently for job training. On one trip I visited some friends in Lawton, who were stationed at Ft. Sill at the time. I saw the Wichitas from a distance, but didn't make the trek up. Wish I had, now.
06-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These look very nice to me, Susan. The second one - in particular - catches my eye.

Jer
06-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice shots, great views too! Haven't been up in Okie land since me and Mrs Rupert went to Broken Bow a few years ago. Eastern Oklahoma is gorgeous, tall pines, beautiful lakes, just gorgeous! Need to go back for a visit, your shots reminded me!
I cover my Texas plates with mud when I cross the border...safer that way!
Best Regards!
Eastern Oklahoma is awesome. I want to go down to the Beaver's Bend area again to take pictures. That State Park is really great.

---------- Post added 06-03-14 at 06:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Beautiful pics. The exposure on those is absolutely perfect, in my eyes. I used to go to OKC frequently for job training. On one trip I visited some friends in Lawton, who were stationed at Ft. Sill at the time. I saw the Wichitas from a distance, but didn't make the trek up. Wish I had, now.
Thank you! Next time you are in the area, drop by over there. It's worth it. The entire park is not that big, but there's a lot of interesting things to see.

---------- Post added 06-03-14 at 06:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These look very nice to me, Susan. The second one - in particular - catches my eye.
Jer
Thanks, Jer! I have that as my desktop wallpaper right now. I like it a lot.