Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Upward Mobility
Lens: FA 31/1.8 and FA 77/1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: George Ranch Historical Park, Richmond, TX ISO: 100 
Posted By: Sailor, 06-06-2014, 02:31 PM

In 1824, the Mexican government ceded a large plot of land in what was then Mexico to Henry and Nancy Jones as part of a program to encourage "colonists" from the United States to develop commerce and infrastructure in the wilderness that became Texas (which some would say remains a wilderness ). Jones' farm grew to a successful ranch and was passed down four generations by surviving daughters who all married men that were successful in their own right and became the Ryon Ranch (1860s), the Davis Ranch (1890s) and the George Ranch (1930s) which was given over to the George Foundation which oversees the family's interests and manages the 23,000-acre Ranch as a historical park that still raises, maintains and sells longhorn cows from a herd of 2500 animals. The photos below show a recreation of the Jones homestead; an antebellum prairie house moved from another location to the park and similar to that of the Ryon's home which was destroyed by fire; and the Davis' Victorian mansion built in the 1890s. The last photo is of a granddaddy live oak, planted by Nancy Jones in 1824, that flourishes today.

Jer

Davis Farm (1830s):

Ryon House (1860s):

Davis Mansion (1890s):

Oak Tree:

Views: 828
06-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love these. I want a big giant porch... For some reason they are not that popular out in Oklahoma.
06-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great photos and narrative buddy, never visited this part of Texas so I appreciate you taking the time to share with us. That is one massive oak you photographed.
06-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
I love these. I want a big giant porch... For some reason they are not that popular out in Oklahoma.
Thanks, Susan. Giant porches are pretty rare nowadays - gone with the widespread use of AC I suspect.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Great photos and narrative buddy, never visited this part of Texas so I appreciate you taking the time to share with us. That is one massive oak you photographed.
Hey Thanks, brother Bob. I'm glad you liked 'em.

Jer