Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
What Are these Critters?
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My Backyard ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Sailor, 06-07-2014, 08:57 AM

I spotted these characters in our backyard a couple of days ago, so I chased them around with my DA 55-300 in the dim light of morning shade and was able to get a few usable pics of 'em. Anybody know what these things are? I want to call them ducks, but . . . . . . . . . maybe they're geese?

Jer

Views: 918
06-07-2014, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

A quick Google search turned up this:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Looks like it's a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck to me.
06-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
man, those are some beautiful ducks you got there Jer, use caution on the walkways.
06-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Closed Account

beautiful !

06-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never seen any like those in Texas before...whatever they are, they are damn handsome, and you got some great shots of them!
Regards!
06-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

According to that link I put up Texas is in their most northern summer range so they are not native to the USA. They are more common in Central and South America. I think Jer should be proud of capturing them as they are a rare bird in his area.
06-08-2014, 05:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
A quick Google search turned up this:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Looks like it's a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck to me.
Hey, thanks for going to the trouble to do some research on these guys. Even at my advanced age, I learn something every day.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
man, those are some beautiful ducks you got there Jer, use caution on the walkways.
They are pretty, buddy - and I'll step with care .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
beautiful !
Thanks, Michael.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Never seen any like those in Texas before...whatever they are, they are damn handsome, and you got some great shots of them!
Regards!
I'd never seen one of these before either, Rupert - but I'll admit I'm not a keen observer of wildlife.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
According to that link I put up Texas is in their most northern summer range so they are not native to the USA. They are more common in Central and South America. I think Jer should be proud of capturing them as they are a rare bird in his area.
How about that? Looks like I got lucky with this one! Thanks, again.

Jer