Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First K-3 Photo
Lens: 70mm Camera: K3 Photo Location: Falcon, Colorado ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 06-07-2014, 07:53 PM

I haven't got the new camera settings like I want them yet, sort of an experiment in the making but the K3 controls are similar to the K5 and very user friendly. I haven't taken a lot of photos but it appears that the clarity is much better than before and the images that I did crop really hold up well, not losing much in clarity at all. This is a hibiscus in bloom taken at our motorhome.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 699
06-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It takes a lot more detail especially when you torn off the AA filter. Nice shot. Thought you only did desert?
06-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
It takes a lot more detail especially when you torn off the AA filter. Nice shot. Thought you only did desert?
We are on the front range of the Rocky Mountains now Trev, elevation 6800' but almost desert as we are on the plains. Trev I checked and the camera filter was selected to OFF, I'll have to experiment and try the filters to see if there is much of a difference? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks Bob.

Last edited by Bob Harris; 06-07-2014 at 08:56 PM.
06-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice detail without getting colour blowouts......well done and I bet you're loving that K-3

06-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nice Bob and enjoy your new toy
06-08-2014, 04:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
We are on the front range of the Rocky Mountains now Trev, elevation 6800' but almost desert as we are on the plains. Trev I checked and the camera filter was selected to OFF, I'll have to experiment and try the filters to see if there is much of a difference? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks Bob.
Sorry about the errors in my post, damn I should proof read.

Anyway the little testing it did show some loose in detail hence I use it off most of the time. Em should be able to give you more info.
06-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Good one, buddy - it's always great to take a new camera for that first "ride around the block." I find my K-3 a joy to use and the cropping capability that comes with the higher res is a godsend for someone like me who refuses to lug around big, heavy telephoto lenses.

Jer
06-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great first K-3 image. Only 199,999 left!

06-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice one, Bob! I *really* like my K-3 and I'm sure you'll love yours. Not a big learning curve.
06-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Nice detail without getting colour blowouts......well done and I bet you're loving that K-3
bad weather again today EM, I'll get to use it a little more tomorrow when the grandkids come over.

---------- Post added 06-08-14 at 03:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbarry Quote
very nice Bob and enjoy your new toy
thanks John, as Terri says "you got another camera", "WHY". and then I had to make up a reason.

---------- Post added 06-08-14 at 03:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Sorry about the errors in my post, damn I should proof read.

Anyway the little testing it did show some loose in detail hence I use it off most of the time. Em should be able to give you more info.
It will take me awhile checking out the different features Trev, hopefully I'll get it right before another new camera comes out.

---------- Post added 06-08-14 at 03:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Good one, buddy - it's always great to take a new camera for that first "ride around the block." I find my K-3 a joy to use and the cropping capability that comes with the higher res is a godsend for someone like me who refuses to lug around big, heavy telephoto lenses.

Jer
you're right Jer, I've already seen the difference in cropping versus the K5, wish I had one of your cars to take it around the block though.

---------- Post added 06-08-14 at 03:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Great first K-3 image. Only 199,999 left!
We're up in Colorado with 6 grandkids and a great/grand, those clicks might go by really fast this summer.

---------- Post added 06-08-14 at 03:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gjtoth Quote
Nice one, Bob! I *really* like my K-3 and I'm sure you'll love yours. Not a big learning curve.
thanks Gary, still learning about the different features but it is nice that it is so similar to learn since I have the Kx and K5. Judging by yours and others photos I think it was worth the money, that's what I told my wife anyways.
06-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice image, Bob. I reckon you should keep it!
06-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Very nice image, Bob. I reckon you should keep it!
Ray, thanks for checking in and hope all is going well for you. I know the new camera won't make me any better of a photographer but it appears it will give me cleaner images than the K5 and the ability to crop closer. Is it worth the extra money, I guess time will tell as I learn the new functions of the K3.
06-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I haven't got the new camera settings like I want them yet, sort of an experiment in the making but the K3 controls are similar to the K5 and very user friendly. I haven't taken a lot of photos but it appears that the clarity is much better than before and the images that I did crop really hold up well, not losing much in clarity at all. This is a hibiscus in bloom taken at our motorhome.
Love these macro shots! nice one!