Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Yamaha XSS 1 cylinder
Posted By: c.r.brown, 05-03-2008, 07:53 AM

First theres nothing especially good or arty about this photo its just a snapshot to remember the bike outside the movie theatre. Also I startd carrying around the 18-55 with me (which has been in its box since getting the samera and 31) as well as the Fa31 i've used solely for the past 10 months or so. Well wouldnt you know after putting on the 18+ all the photos were focused in at 31-33mm lol.

Views: 2,467
05-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hmm.. that's a single cylinder? looks a lot like a 650, to me... lol
05-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
I didnt see the owner so its only a guess based on what i saw.
05-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting bike, someone has really personallized this one. Looks like twin carbs, twin pipes, twin cylinder. Hardtail, would probably shake the spine clean out of normal guy, and hop like a crazied jack rabit, no fenders front or rear (real back & knee soaker). All in all looks like a fun bike to cruise through town on, cause it has the edgy bad boy look. Hey if it has 2 wheels it has to be good!

05-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure that's single-cylinder?

I'm thinking it's a twin, because the cylinder (on the right) is slanted. V-twin all the way.

The side reminds me a little of a Virago, but it's chain drive so I doubt this bike was derived from a Virago.
05-04-2008, 03:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, sleek shot
05-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This is the base model I believe (long before the Virago)
Buyers Guide

Some alternate 'conversions':
Members Bikes

05-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Cool! Wish I had one...
Bikes are obscenely expensive here. 1400 euros for a beat-up 1998 Suzuki Marauder...
05-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot of a unique bike. Looks like an older Yahama 650 twin engine in a hardtail frame, with a HD Sportster peanut tank and a springer seat. You used to see lots of these creations back in the 70's, usually with Triumph or BSA engines. Those hardtail frames were advertised in all the MC magazines of the day. I remember a few with 750 Honda 4's too. My neighbor built one (750-4) with straight pipes and it was one scary bike to ride but looked really cool. Probably somewhere in my attic there is a picture of it. This is what a custom chopper was in the old days, not the overpriced yuppie toys of today. You went to swap meets and the bone yards, got your parts and built it yourself.
05-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #10

I would say that it is made out of an XS650. The engine, frame, and rims are just like on the one I had in the early 80s. The hard tail appears to be just a replacement of the shocks with solid units. I bet it rides like a pig. It's a classic chopper.