Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Four-Spotted Skimmer Portrait
Lens: Tamron 90 (272E) & Raynox DCR-250 Camera: K-01 Photo Location: Parc-nature du Bois-de-l'Île-Bizard, Île Bizard, QC, Canada ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: Doundounba, 06-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Two-shot focus stack - my 500th Flickr upload, almost all shot with the K-01! Very happy with the brick (K-01) and with this shot in particular.

Views: 852
06-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good DOF in this shot.
06-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks eaglem. I hadn't planned this as a stack, but I came back and had (amongst others) one shot where the nose was in good focus and one where the eyes were, but not both. Each shot was at around F/13. The dragonfly was super cooperative!
06-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, nice work.

06-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent macro. Handheld?
06-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you both! Yes, this was handheld. I guess it would have stacked more easily and more cleanly with a tripod and focus rack, but (besides the fact that I don't have the focus rack just yet) I don't quite know how people manage to setup a tripod without scaring away the critter. This was my first time shooting dragonflies at greater than 1:1. I was lucky that the branch this one was on had a Y junction that allowed me a clear view of the face. If I had to do it again, I might try to get three stackable shots to get the eyes in focus all the way through...

EDIT:
Here is a view of what it looked like a bit further out.

Last edited by Doundounba; 06-11-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: add image
06-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are guys on Flickr who do stacks of 30+ from handheld macro - I don't know how. Their results are stunning, though. To do dragonflies, you have to get out early while they're warming up - and not all perch in places easy to find. Those big darners never seem to land, and they're FAST.

06-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't know how large handheld stacks are successfully achieved either! I would think it easiest lying down, using a camera with a viewfinder, with your elbows on the ground. With the K-01, because of no viewfinder, the camera is, I think, quite a bit less stable, which makes the fine control needed for stacking harder. The reverse advantage is that I can reach spots where it would be impossible to put my head. I also tend to think that because my body stays a bit further out, it's less intimidating for critters. Another consideration is that I've mostly used the onboard flash (with homemade diffuser), which lightens the backpack considerably but also makes it harder to fire bursts of shots - possibly another stacking trick. (The onboard flash often takes 3-4 seconds to recharge.) I'll be switching to off-camera flash soon and might try that with a monopod...

TER-OR, thanks for the tip about early morning shooting! Not sure I can get myself out there super early, but it's good to know. This shot was fired in the late afternoon, around 5pm. That individual was super calm, and there was no wind.