Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

1958 Chevy
Posted By: Sailor, 06-09-2014, 06:50 AM

This '58 Chevy was my favorite in a recent local car show in large part owing to the sparkling enthusiasm of its owner - the guy with the blue hat and shirt on the left of the first photo. Cosmetically, the car is a faithful, fairly high-quality original restoration, but the drive train and brakes are modern - which means no PowerGlide (a very good thing ).

To be honest, unlike so many of my generation who revere cars of this era, I was always dubious about their baroque convoluted sheet metal, gobs of seemingly uncoordinated chrome and disparate bits of trim. By age 12, when this car was new, my aesthetic automotive eye had already developed its (now permanent) minimalist tilt - I was impressed by the clean, pure lines of MGAs and Jag sedans and had come to regard the looks of American offerings - particularly GM cars - as sort of cartoonish. One of my fondest memories is from an Autumn evening in '57 or '58 when I was with my Dad on show day at the Olds dealer when another customer (and a stranger to us) asked the sales guy if they planned to take the decorations off the cars after Christmas - an episode that makes me smile to this day.

With age I've mellowed and I've come to enjoy the memories and feelings these egregious, boisterous designs revive.

Jer

Views: 1,669
06-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Hi Jer,

I'm not great at computers other than turning them on. I've never been able to successfully transfer one of my pictures to a website....even though my kids who are 20 something...(in their 20's, not 20 kids have attempted to show me how innumerable times. I also don't have a Flickr account which I understand makes the process easier.

So here goes. These links are not my bikes....but they do show motorcycles that are the very same make/model of my two bikes. Same colour and not modified, like my bikes. The Matchless and my '78 Yamaha SR 500. I got the links off the internet. Thanks to those that set up the links.

Hope this works.

Les
Hey thanks, Les. Worked like a charm - I can see them well, although the Matchless is a bit small.

I use Photobucket, and it's pretty easy to add a shot to the forum - sort of a copy and paste exercise.

Anyway - thanks for posting the pics. Which do you ride most often?

Jer

06-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey thanks, Les. Worked like a charm - I can see them well, although the Matchless is a bit small.

I use Photobucket, and it's pretty easy to add a shot to the forum - sort of a copy and paste exercise.

Anyway - thanks for posting the pics. Which do you ride most often?

Jer
Glad they came through. I probably should look at something like Photobucket or Flickr.

I haven't ridden either for awhile. I've found that being in my mid 60's and starting to notice a bit of a hearing loss and with today's distracted traffic....I drive either one of our two cars.

I did ride for a number of years, enjoyed it immensely and had a variety of motorcycles.....including Czech made CZ's + Jawa's, Yamahas and of course the big British sport twin. Still have the SR 500 and G 15 CS. Looking for, but not too hard ...for a vintage '60's CZ 250cc competition,Twin Pipe Scrambler. That would probably complete my old bike collection.

But I've never lost my enthusiasm for performance cars of all types, sports motorcycles and vintage cars....also old bikes and ancient trucks. As far as trucks go, particularly like older medium duty and heavy duty commercial trucks.

Les
06-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some interesting videos for us car guys.

06-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Glad they came through. I probably should look at something like Photobucket or Flickr.

I haven't ridden either for awhile. I've found that being in my mid 60's and starting to notice a bit of a hearing loss and with today's distracted traffic....I drive either one of our two cars.

I did ride for a number of years, enjoyed it immensely and had a variety of motorcycles.....including Czech made CZ's + Jawa's, Yamahas and of course the big British sport twin. Still have the SR 500 and G 15 CS. Looking for, but not too hard ...for a vintage '60's CZ 250cc competition,Twin Pipe Scrambler. That would probably complete my old bike collection.

But I've never lost my enthusiasm for performance cars of all types, sports motorcycles and vintage cars....also old bikes and ancient trucks. As far as trucks go, particularly like older medium duty and heavy duty commercial trucks.

Les
I hear you about mid 60s, Les. That's why I'm sailing less these days and driving the roadster more.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
some interesting videos for us car guys.
These are cool, Bob - and fun to watch - I was in high school when these were made originally.

Jer