Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Show & Tell: My trip to Washington DC
Posted By: mike.hiran, 05-03-2008, 09:53 AM

I've been back for a couple weeks now, and still have more PP to do, but thought I'd get this thread going.

So many members here gave me tips on what to bring, most saying to travel light and wear good shoes. Were they ever right! Pounding on pavement and all the aggregate paths will definately take their toll on your body!

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the pictures I took, though I can't help but think that with more experience, I could do much better. Sites like this have been an inspiration and leave me with a desire to improve my technique and how I see things. But in the meantime, here are some of the pics I took...

National Cathedral

Smithsonian National Zoological Park

Washington Monument

Korean War Memorial

Views: 3,583
05-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Sure looks you made the most of your trip. There are some great shots in the series very well done.
Thanks daacon! It's an amazing place that has so many opportunities for photographers. And if you like history, architecture, politics, military stuff or art, it's that much better. Looking back, I wish I had a couple more days to spend there, but then there's always another time. Thanks for looking and for your kind words!

05-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are so many shots it's hard to comment on all but the architectural shots are excellent as are the war memorials. Great series and I knew I was in for a treat as soon as I saw the cathedral and it just kept getting better.
05-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
There are so many shots it's hard to comment on all but the architectural shots are excellent as are the war memorials. Great series and I knew I was in for a treat as soon as I saw the cathedral and it just kept getting better.
Thanks Peter... yeah, I kept thinking this is too many, but once I got past 10, I thought I'd just give a general overview of where I went even though I knew it was going to be a bit long.

Anyways, thanks for looking!

If anyone is interested in seeing more pics or the exif's, feel free to check out my flickr account at Collection: Washington DC
05-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Can anyone see the "face" - the 2 lights being the eyes, on the third-last picture.

05-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Can anyone see the "face" - the 2 lights being the eyes, on the third-last picture.
And the mouth being the blue skylight? I think I see it, but then my meds apparently aren't as strong as yours Could it be saying, "Why did you take my picture so crooked?"
05-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #21
axl
Inactive Account

Great series, and great shots. Really. It nearly felt like being in those places with you. Great trawell pohography.
05-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #22
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Yeah, good spot JC would make a good crop.
Gary

05-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #23

Great shots. The reflections that you have captured are incredible. Thanks for sharing.
05-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Very nice series of pictures. I think that the Vietnam Memorial picture is terrific. You have a good eye; now it's time to sort through them all and print the best.
05-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Great series, and great shots. Really. It nearly felt like being in those places with you. Great trawell pohography.
This was my first trip where one of my primary goals was to take pictures so I'm very flattered by your comments. There is so much to see there and the scale of the monuments are so grandiose I found it difficult to capture the feel of some of them. Thank you for your compliments!

QuoteOriginally posted by cwhans Quote
Great shots. The reflections that you have captured are incredible. Thanks for sharing.
I've tried to capture meaningful reflections before and failed miserably. I think this is the first time where some of them worked out. I think I lucked out with my timing as it seemed that the sun was where it needed to be when I got there... wish I had planned it but I'll take good luck anyday

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Very nice series of pictures. I think that the Vietnam Memorial picture is terrific. You have a good eye; now it's time to sort through them all and print the best.
Thank you very much! I still have some pictures that need to be PP'd, but I am hoping to see what some of these look like on my wall. I'm pretty excited to see how they look in print... the Newseum had a large collection of pullitzer prize winning photos and they had computer kiosks where the whole series of pictures could be seen, and the printed pictures always seemed to have more impact than the pictures on a computer screen.