Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Saint John river flooding 8.3 Meters
Posted By: Peter Zack, 05-03-2008, 06:52 PM

The Saint John river runs South from one end of New Brunswick all the way to the Bay of Funday about 450 Kms. We had a much larger snowfall this year and it's now spring run-off. Missed the all time record of 8.4 meters (27.4 feet).

downtown was flooded and they turned the power off to the entire section close to the river. Highways were covered. Everyone was out with their cameras. Tons of Nikon's and a few Canon's. I found another K10D user but we are a rare breed here in Atlantic Canada.

All with K10d and Sigma 70-200/2.8 or FA*300mm/4.5

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-03-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Views: 3,027
05-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All good stuff. My faves from a goofball standpoint are the "parking lot full" and the canoe & parking meters. Photographically speaking, it is a tossup between the cannon and the benches.
05-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A couple of canoes tied up at the parking meters would have been hilarious. I like the guy riding his bike through the water (a real - I will do it my way attitude). Hope everyone pulls through ok and life is not impacted too badly for the peole there.
05-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Nice work Peter. I call those kind of pictures "King Canute" shots.

When are we humans gonna learn that nature can't be controlled?

Cheers, Gary

05-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pretty scary stuff Peter, Are you alright where you live?

I grew up a road that flooded like that every 3 or 4 years. I don't miss being trapped at home.
05-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Such a humurous series of photos showing the irony of the sign versus the surrounding. Very witty
05-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Yeah not the most artistic series but I thought fun to share. Fredericton is a long way from my home and we don't get any flooding here. The Saint John River is long and big, as much as 1 km wide in places. I wished I had the time to go to Grand falls about an hour north of this spot. I heard that the large power dam had all the flood doors open and the river was still flowing over the top.

The Grand falls gorge has a drop of 23 meters (75 feet) and is the largest waterfall east of Niagra (volume I think, not height). It would be wild this spring and I'm going to try and get there next week. The other interesting spot would have been at the mouth of the river in Saint John's. The river empies into the Bay of Fundy which has the worlds highest tides which travel up the river. They were very concerned what the flooding would be because the high tide can increase the river by 8 meters! It's the Atlantic ocean so the river can't push the ocean back and the 2 forces will build very high..

heres a link to a shot of the grand falls during regular flow (not my image, I found it on Picassa) Google Image Result for http://lh3.google.com/_-JpM0n0LsaY/RntTHcUeMUI/AAAAAAAADLg/Xiz-YKXrxXU/s800/img_1400.jpg
You can see the power dam in the background and the water is over the top of the white boxes right now.

Here's a shot I took of the Saint John at the river mouth taken on Wednesday before the flood waters got there.
Name:  Saint John's.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  67.3 KB
It's hard to understand the perspective with this snap shot but the river is powerful and deep here. The water will rise to almost half way to the bridge deck.

05-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow great captures - it does not look like too many residentual areas got swamped ? I like the review tour builidng shot - irony . Hopefully the river and water will get back to normal sooner rather than later.
05-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Dave, yes for the most part the houses were OK but the places down stream are very worried. The old highway from Fredericton to Moncton is totally cut off for about 50Kms. The historic buildings downtown had big pumps trying to keep the basements as dry as possible.

You could have made a killing with a hot dog or ice cream stand with all the 'disaster tourists' hundreds of people and every shop was closed.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-04-2008 at 02:52 PM.
05-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

good documentation Peter! i should read the news more, didn't know any of this was happening. hope everything is cleared up soon
05-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Yeah the thing that sucks was I'm sure I could have sold a few to some newspapers but I was working and too busy. I saw a few TV guys around but not one print reporter or Pro Photog. It was funny cause several people asked me if I was a reporter (the FA*300 sticks out like a sore thumb).