Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Spittle Bug (without the spittle) on a quarter
Posted By: Damn Brit, 05-03-2008, 07:57 PM

One of my first attempts at macro. Natural light with fill flash. Just a crop and a little sharpening.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-28-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Views: 2,300
05-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Igilligan
Guest




Nice... I cant get the bugs to pose on props for me. I like the political statement though. Very subtle....
05-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Nice... I cant get the bugs to pose on props for me. I like the political statement though. Very subtle....
Thanks, it would have been nice if I had a quarter with GW's head for the bug to poop on. Then he really would be a S***head. LOL

Little trick for getting them to pose; put them in your freezer for a few minutes while you get set up. When you take the bug out of the freezer you should have a couple of minutes to work with it before it gets too active.
05-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Igilligan
Guest




I never thought of that freezer trick....

good plan... thanks.

It is not so much a pose as it is a froze...


QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Thanks, it would have been nice if I had a quarter with GW's head for the bug to poop on. Then he really would be a S***head. LOL

Little trick for getting them to pose; put them in your freezer for a few minutes while you get set up. When you take the bug out of the freezer you should have a couple of minutes to work with it before it gets too active.


05-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
good plan... thanks.

It is not so much a pose as it is a froze...
Freezer is ok for just a few minutes any longer and it's better to just use the fridge.
Gary
05-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,709
That's a cool pose Gary, thanks for the tip as well.

I've heard about the freezing the insects but never thought of trying it for macro work.
05-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
That's a cool pose Gary, thanks for the tip as well.

I've heard about the freezing the insects but never thought of trying it for macro work.
Thanks Stu.

05-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member
JCSullivan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Canada
Posts: 3,057
I'm shocked anyone would suggest the freezer. Use the fridge.
05-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member
gawan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Helsinki
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,400
The bug is nice, but what really takes my attention, is the coin! You have managed to show the three dimensionality of the coin's surface really well!
05-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I'm shocked anyone would suggest the freezer. Use the fridge.
I'm not in to animal cruelty JC, like I said "freezer is ok for a few minutes".
05-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
The bug is nice, but what really takes my attention, is the coin! You have managed to show the three dimensionality of the coin's surface really well!
Thanks, I appreciate the comment considering my low level of experience.

Gary
05-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member
JCSullivan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Canada
Posts: 3,057
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I'm not in to animal cruelty JC, like I said "freezer is ok for a few minutes".
I'm sure you're not Gary, no offence. Anyway, forgot to comment.

Actually it's a great shot but perhaps a little dark. What I DO like about it is the reflection. Did you set the bug on the quarter or did it happen on it. Move it a little and you would have gotten an excellent reflection.
05-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #13
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I'm sure you're not Gary, no offence. Anyway, forgot to comment.

Actually it's a great shot but perhaps a little dark. What I DO like about it is the reflection. Did you set the bug on the quarter or did it happen on it. Move it a little and you would have gotten an excellent reflection.
Thanks JC, the quarter was a bit tarnished which made it darker. I set the bug on the quarter initially to give an idea of the size of the bug but then, because I was shooting from the side, I realized the potential of the reflection and the three dimensionality of the face of the coin. This was my last shot because the little fella was starting to get active so after this shot I let him go.

By the way, these bugs, although they are sucking insects, don't usually do too much damage to plants. If you don't want them on your plants, just hose them off with water.
05-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
Damn Brit
Guest




Tried some extra basic PP now I have Elements.
Hope it's an improvement.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-28-2008 at 01:31 AM.
05-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member
JCSullivan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Canada
Posts: 3,057
Dang right it's an improvement - I like it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo, spittle
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc Quarter Danny Delcambre Post Your Photos! 2 09-21-2010 09:28 AM
Macro quarter note tigershiok Post Your Photos! 5 07-30-2010 05:19 AM
A quarter century and counting artobest Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 3 04-25-2010 07:36 AM
Quarter Pipe Air - BMX Macneil Post Your Photos! 5 08-14-2007 08:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top