Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada
Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada 
Posted By: Susinok, 06-22-2014, 07:20 AM

Second day in the desert. I had all kinds of trouble this day with exposure, white balance, and color correction. I had polarizing filters on since the sun was already fairly high at 9am, which probably contributed to my problems. The bad thing is, I didn't realize I had so much trouble until seeing my pictures in Lightroom back home.

Entering the Valley of Fire State Park. It was at the end of a 11 mile winding road through the desert. Very barren area. Tamron 28-300 at 28mm

Pile of rocks. I'm assuming the valley gets its name from the veins of red rock running through he regular buff and gray sandstone. DA15

DA15 - near the Beehive rock formations.

One of my favorite pictures of the day. Looking through a hole in the rock. DA15.

The wind erosion made for some very interesting textures. DA15

Still at the Beehive area. Some typical wind erosion patterns here. DA15

Chipmunk at the visitor's center. Cropped a bit. The only creatures stirring were tourists, chipmunks, and some sparrows. Tamron 28-300 @ 300.

Petroglyphs at Atlatl Rock. There were 50 stairs leading up to this. I was lazy and used my Tamron 28-300mm lens to take the picture from ground level.

Another moonrise picture. Headed back to I-15 to go back to town. DA35mm/Macro

Views: 1,260
06-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice. VoF is one of my favorite locations, particularly the White Domes trail on the north end, though Red Rock Canyon is a bit more accessible.
06-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Very nice. VoF is one of my favorite locations, particularly the White Domes trail on the north end, though Red Rock Canyon is a bit more accessible.
Thanks! Both parks were amazing. I didn't make it all the way up to the White Domes area. It was getting late and I was getting a heat-headache.I turned around at the Silica Dome area.
06-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Another excellent series, Susan.

06-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Another excellent series, Susan.
Thank you Tony!
06-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Dang, I wish people would quit showing off the desert! I'll be overrun if y'all don't stop. (I'm kidding) Nice series. You show off the desert well. I like the desert at night. It's cooler, the stars are out and there's no people around. The colors as the sun rises is a real treat. BTW your chipmunk is an antelope squirrel. Hang onto that image for the next squirrel frenzy.
06-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I love it! I also found a really good guide to the geology of Valley of Fire State Park here, if you're interested.

06-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Dang, I wish people would quit showing off the desert! I'll be overrun if y'all don't stop. (I'm kidding) Nice series. You show off the desert well. I like the desert at night. It's cooler, the stars are out and there's no people around. The colors as the sun rises is a real treat. BTW your chipmunk is an antelope squirrel. Hang onto that image for the next squirrel frenzy.
Thank you! LOL it was pretty quiet at 8 am too. Weather was lovely. We had a break from the heat while we were there. Highs were only in the low 90s.

Antelope Squirrel. I will remember that.

---------- Post added 06-23-14 at 02:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
I love it! I also found a really good guide to the geology of Valley of Fire State Park here, if you're interested.
Thank you! And thanks for the guide. I am interested!
06-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Another reminder for me to go here… I keep putting it off!
Nice pictures, thanks for posting!
06-25-2014, 02:59 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful photos and beautiful country, Susan! Thanks for sharing.
06-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Another reminder for me to go here… I keep putting it off!
Nice pictures, thanks for posting!
Thank you Jerry! It's gorgeous!

---------- Post added 06-26-14 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Beautiful photos and beautiful country, Susan! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Ron. It was a very successful trip, photo wise.