Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
name these Ducks
Posted By: Cee Cee, 06-24-2014, 09:08 PM

So the last image is pretty straight forward "Chestnut Teal" but I'm struggling to identify the 1st and 2nd images, I checked my my books & online, they don't appear to be native to Australia so probably introduced species, but not having much luck finding them.

??? ..... with a "Pacific Black" in the background

???

Chestnut Teal

Views: 1,736
06-25-2014, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
fine captures ... big fan of these feathered friends... dave m
thanks dave m, glad you liked them

QuoteOriginally posted by jwc77 Quote
Very nice captures. To me it looks like maybe a cinnamon teal in the 1st pic. It is a mallard drake in the 2nd (maybe a hybrid of somekind but mallard for sure). And the Chestnut teal in the third.
thanks jwc77, the pictures I see of a cinnamon teal look a little different to me, but maybe another hybrid,
cheers

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
I have heard that Mallards are breeding with our Australian Black Duck. Why this little black duck may be no more
interesting. Although there seems to be a lot of Pacific Blacks out there, by far the most common duck I see in my travels, (not that I travel too far) that's if they are real pacific blacks and not hybrids

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Richard, Matilda, Joseph, and Gustav.
, very good!
cheers

a Pacific Black from the same suburban lake as the others, this one's called Trevor...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have heard that Mallards are breeding with our Australian Black Duck. Why this little black duck may be no more
I read somewhere that there is not a duck in existence today that does not have a mallard in their heriditary Not sure now where I read that but the cross breeding is a serious issue for the survival of several species as being unique
06-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I read somewhere that there is not a duck in existence today that does not have a mallard in their hereditary Not sure now where I read that but the cross breeding is a serious issue for the survival of several species as being unique
Would be good if the duck shooters would concentrate on the feral Mallards in Australia. But it is probably too late.
06-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would be good if the duck shooters would concentrate on the feral Mallards in Australia. But it is probably too late.
Being the most common species world wide, and given their "promiscuity" with other species, it adds a whole new meaning to the term "Ducks Unlimited" but not the way the wild life organization planned

06-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Duck a l'orange sounds nice.
06-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
So the last image is pretty straight forward "Chestnut Teal" but I'm struggling to identify the 1st and 2nd images, I checked my my books & online, they don't appear to be native to Australia so probably introduced species, but not having much luck finding them.

??? ..... with a "Pacific Black" in the background

???

Chestnut Teal
The bird in the photo with the Pacific Black Duck in the background looks to me like a hybrid of Muscovy Duck (Cairina moschata) with Mallard. I base the Muscovy part on the dark, iridescent feathers on the back, and on the carbuncles at the base of the bill. This species is native to Central America and northern South America, but the domesticated form and its hybrids are widespread on farms and in parks. The Mallard part is based on the partial, white ring on the neck and on fact that domesticated breeds of Mallard are widespread. The second photo is a domestic variety of Mallard. The domesticated varieties show all, part, or none of the wild-type plumage. Mallard also hybridizes freely with other species of dabbling duck.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 06-27-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: omission
06-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The bird in the photo with the Pacific Black Duck in the background looks to me like a hybrid of Muscovy Duck (Cairina moschata) with Mallard. I base the Muscovy part on the dark, iridescent feathers on the back, and on the carbuncles at the base of the bill. This species is native to Central America and northern South America, but the domesticated form and its hybrids are widespread on farms and in parks. The Mallard part is based on the partial, white ring on the neck and on fact that domesticated breeds of Mallard are widespread. The second photo is a domestic variety of Mallard. The domesticated varieties show all, part, or none of the wild-type plumage. Mallard also hybridizes freely with other species of dabbling duck.
thanks for the info, looking at pics of Muscovy ducks I would have never made the connection, but I can see what your getting at with the back feathers, and the way mallards put them self about, bound to be in there somewhere . I think you could be on the money here, some of the pics of Muscovy hybrids look quite similar.
cheers.

06-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That last one is fabulous!
06-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
That last one is fabulous!