Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Couple of new macro shots to show off
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 06-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Have a couple of new ones that came out pretty good, Makinon 135mm with 55mm of extension tubes, flash used.

One of my best dragonfly shots yet

Robber Fly

Spider hanging on a web

Katydid close up

All but the last one taken on the same day within about 15 minutes of each other. Should have a couple more soon, haven't taken today's shots off the camera yet and got some more Robber Fly shots I think may be pretty decent.
Views: 1,749
06-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Have a couple of new ones that came out pretty good, Makinon 135mm with 55mm of extension tubes, flash used.

One of my best dragonfly shots yet

Robber Fly

Spider hanging on a web

Katydid close up

All but the last one taken on the same day within about 15 minutes of each other. Should have a couple more soon, haven't taken today's shots off the camera yet and got some more Robber Fly shots I think may be pretty decent.
Great macros!
07-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree!
07-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot

07-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #5

Great shots!

I never can get my robber flies to hold still!
08-01-2014, 03:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nightwatch - Move very slowly, robber flies are pretty skittish. Sometimes I have to try 5 or 6 times to get close. Wear subdued colors, no bright reds and yellow or whites, stick to greens and browns. Blue jeans don't seem to be a problem. Main thing is to move really slow, all insects will spook easily when they see fast or sudden movement, especially something as big a s a human. What would you do if something the size of a whale suddenly jumped into your immediate vicinity? That's about what it's like to them when they see you. If the whale moved in fairly slow, you might stick around to see if it means danger. Like animals, insects will also often try to sit still and be inconspicuous if you move slow.

Another tactic is to sit still in one place where a robber fly has already landed, like dragonflies they will sometimes come back to the same spot. Dragonflies do this constantly, robber flies less often. Even when youi are already close, still move slowly. Sudden motion spooks them every time.
08-01-2014, 05:19 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good shots, Pete.

One other thing I will mention I didn't see in Pete's instructions. Never let your shadow fall across a bug or insect, sure fire way for them to move, fly away.

08-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Closed Account

nice macros !
08-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Michael

photolady has a good point, I often have to back up to avoid my shadow spooking insects when trying to get close, spooks them every time, especilloy early in the AM. First thing in the morning they find a sunny spot and sit there to warm up. Your shadow removes that sunlight so they go to another sunny spot. Especially butterflies. They have to have a body temp of at least 85° F to fly, so if you see one with perched wings open in the morning it's trying to warm up. Once warmed, it will fly away every time. Not sure about body temp requirements for other insects, but they will all fly away if your shadow crosses them. The shadow also draws their attention.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 07:11 PM ----------

This is an older one, just started going through the FLickr shots and finding some of the older ones.

A small green bee that is not easy to get at all, the move fast and a lot...

And a lizard. They don't often let me get close enough for macro shots, but this guy sat still for me