Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Vik
Lens: Pentax DA 17-70 mm Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Vik, Iceland 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 06-28-2014, 10:35 PM

A view looking west along the extreme southern coast of Iceland, taken in the town of Vik. The spires in the distance show up in lots of photographs at various angles.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 741
06-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The spires in the distance really add to the photo. I wouldn't mind seeing a tighter crop of those spires and sky, it would look like a very alien or fairytale landscape
06-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice photo, Jerry. You sure do get to travel to some interesting places.
06-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stunning colors! Very interesting composition. It works well. I agree with Na Horuk about the spires. I look forward to seeing more.

06-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The spires in the distance really add to the photo. I wouldn't mind seeing a tighter crop of those spires and sky, it would look like a very alien or fairytale landscape
Thanks Na Horuk. I think you're right. What you're seeing here is a pretty significant crop of the original, but I wanted to keep some of the sky above the cliff on the right. Now that you mention it though, less sky there would be a good tradeoff for a little more prominent rock spires.

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 02:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Nice photo, Jerry. You sure do get to travel to some interesting places.
Thanks Tony! Yes Iceland was amazing. I am still processing images from my trip there almost two years ago, some of them going through 2nd or even 3rd generation processing as I learn new techniques and my tastes change.

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 02:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Stunning colors! Very interesting composition. It works well. I agree with Na Horuk about the spires. I look forward to seeing more.
Thanks for stopping by Dewman! I agree with both of you on the crop as well.
06-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, its too bad we can't always carry around lenses of all focal lengths! Sometimes we have to do the best with the lens we have with us! And you caught the amazing colours and kept the image nice and sharp
06-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah, its too bad we can't always carry around lenses of all focal lengths! Sometimes we have to do the best with the lens we have with us! And you caught the amazing colours and kept the image nice and sharp
Well, I did have my 55-300 mm with me, but the problem with this one was the low light. I would have needed a tripod to do this justice with a longer lens (the 17-70 mm was cranked all the way up) and I was just too lazy to do that. And I didn't want to go much higher on the ISO.

06-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Well, I did have my 55-300 mm with me, but the problem with this one was the low light. I would have needed a tripod to do this justice with a longer lens (the 17-70 mm was cranked all the way up) and I was just too lazy to do that. And I didn't want to go much higher on the ISO.
I think that is why I've learned to love my Tamron 28-200mm lens. Not only is it one of the "good copies," but it's varied focal length about covers everything I come across. One exception was a recent trip to Shoshone Falls on the Snake River. The panorama was so wide, I had to go with a DAL 18-55mm kit lens! An enormously wide canyon.... and deep too, as Evel Kinevel could tell you! But, as you mentioned, the low light factor becomes a problem, albeit very seldom. I really like how you included a vast amount of sky and very little foreground in the final crop. Quite creative..... and it works! Very creative, sir.
06-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I think that is why I've learned to love my Tamron 28-200mm lens. Not only is it one of the "good copies," but it's varied focal length about covers everything I come across. One exception was a recent trip to Shoshone Falls on the Snake River. The panorama was so wide, I had to go with a DAL 18-55mm kit lens! An enormously wide canyon.... and deep too, as Evel Kinevel could tell you! But, as you mentioned, the low light factor becomes a problem, albeit very seldom. I really like how you included a vast amount of sky and very little foreground in the final crop. Quite creative..... and it works! Very creative, sir.
Thanks very much Dewman! Here's a little tighter crop….. I think I prefer this version.

By the way, the reason there's not much foreground is because just below this frame there's a road that at this low angle isn't very appealing. I wanted to get rid of it, so this was the look I ended up with.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo